Math help in setting up the formula(word problem)

passionflower_40

A child in an airport is able to cover 388meters in 4 minutes running at a steady speed down a moving sidewalk in the direction of the sidewalk's motion. Running at the same speed in the direction opposite to the sidewalk's movement, the child is able to cover 255 meters in 5 minutes. What is the child's running speed on a still sidewalk, and what is the speed of the moving sidewalk?

I need help in setting up this word problem and I can perform the rest. Thanks.

Let x = child's speed in meters per minute
Let y = sidewalk's speed in meters per minute

x+y=388/4
x+(-y)=255/5

Solve the system of equations.

Can someone check my answer please

x+y=388/4
x+(-y)=255/5

2*y/2=46/2
x=74

y=2*23/2
x=74

y=23
x=74

Please let me know if I am correct on this or incorrect. Thank you dagrBest for setting it up for me. :)

The simplest way to check your answers is by plugging them back into the system of equations.

x+y = 388/4
74+23 =? 97
97 = 97

x+(-y) = 255/5
74+(-23) =? 51
51 = 51

Although 97m/min and 51m/min is technically correct, the common unit for speed is m/s. It was just easier to solve the system of equations using m/min because the answers turned out to be whole numbers.

(97m/1min)(1min/60s) ≈ 1.617m/s

(51m/1min)(1min/60s) = 0.85m/s

To dagrBest

So by plugging in these numbers will tell if my answer is correct or not. I need to check my work to see where I went wrong. Thanks darBest you been a big help.

Your answers are correct. I was just showing you how to check them by plugging them back into the system of equations. I also showed you how to change meters per minute into meters per second but you do not necessarily have to do that.

dagr8est said:
Your answers are correct. I was just showing you how to check them by plugging them back into the system of equations. I also showed you how to change meters per minute into meters per second but you do not necessarily have to do that.

Oh thank you, I was still coming up with the same answers