Math help

First, since x and y are integers so are xy and x+ y so x and y must be such that \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}\) is an integer- think "Pythagorean triples".

This is what I ve tried so far , I think I need to factorize it further , but I ve no idea how to factorize , if at all this is the correct way of starting off

1605796890213.png

1605796905377.png

You can, of course, factor out xy. Then if you try to factor by grouping, you will find that it comes close, resulting in something of the form (...)(...)-... = 0

That leads to something you can do using the fact that x and y must be integers ...

View attachment 23214

View attachment 23215

You can, of course, factor out xy. Then if you try to factor by grouping, you will find that it comes close, resulting in something of the form (...)(...)-... = 0

That leads to something you can do using the fact that x and y must be integers ...

Well I factorized it out , and I got just 1 pair of integers as x=16 and y = 30 . I got just this one pair . Is it right ?

Well I factorized it out , and I got just 1 pair of integers as x=16 and y = 30 . I got just this one pair . Is it right ?

No, I found more pairs than that (and even your answer would yield two different ordered pairs). Can you show your details?

Ok now I tried it again and found 3*2=6 pairs (14,48);(16,30);(18,24) and vice versa
Is it correct now ?

Attachments

• D035EEB0-339E-4D8B-840E-575556EB9722.jpeg
    D035EEB0-339E-4D8B-840E-575556EB9722.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 4
No, there are still more. I don't think you've shown all your work, as there is no indication where you are getting your numbers from, and I don't see anything factored. what are you "trying 2, 4, 5, 6" in?

Check your arithmetic! All those pairs work; there's no reason they shouldn't, given the factoring.

(Before I replied to you in the first place, I put them all into a spreadsheet to make sure they worked.)

(By the way, your notation "= Z" is poor notation; Z is a set, and a number can't equal a set.)