Math programs for the seriously rusty

valdemar

Ok I am going into a career field that will require basic math skills up to at least fractions which for me will be a problem because I have not had a job / career in 25 years that required the use of math beyond simple addition and subtraction and it has been about that length of time that I last took a math class in high school which ended up being pre algebra taught by a man who was convinced that everyone was perpetually 6 years old and would laugh at that age groups idea of funny antics. I had this teacher two years in a row and as a result struggled with math and could not get it across to him that I needed help so I took the last class required to pass the grade so I could exit high school.

Now I'm in a training program where I have to use math up to fractions and possibly algebra and due to my difficulty with math I was wondering if there are any programs or website tutorials that are good for someone such as myself who struggle with math like someone trying to learn german.

valdemar said:
Ok I am going into a career field that will require basic math skills up to at least fractions which for me will be a problem because I have not had a job / career in 25 years that required the use of math beyond simple addition and subtraction and it has been about that length of time that I last took a math class in high school which ended up being pre algebra taught by a man who was convinced that everyone was perpetually 6 years old and would laugh at that age groups idea of funny antics. I had this teacher two years in a row and as a result struggled with math and could not get it across to him that I needed help so I took the last class required to pass the grade so I could exit high school.

Now I'm in a training program where I have to use math up to fractions and possibly algebra and due to my difficulty with math I was wondering if there are any programs or website tutorials that are good for someone such as myself who struggle with math like someone trying to learn german.

I sincerely think, the most efficient route for you would be to hire a face-to-face tutor. Check with the math-teachers at your local middle school.

Subhotosh Khan said:
valdemar said:

I sincerely think, the most efficient route for you would be to hire a face-to-face tutor. Check with the math-teachers at your local middle school.
Personal finances do not allow for this option unfortunately so I am left with looking for guides / tutorials and programs.

In my city, many of the Community Service Centers offer free math tutoring, if you sign up (i.e., show financial hardship) and schedule in advance.

But, if you're a quick study, there's certainly nothing wrong with self-teaching.

(I claim that machines teaching those without a clue is tantamount to the blind leading the blind.)

I regret that it's not practical to teach lessons covering broad subject in this forum. We volunteer at this site for guiding students (with specific questions) through their reasoning.

Have you tried searching for lessons on the Internet?

Here's a site that I found by googling; it explains FRACTION BASICS.

You could try working through the lessons and examples, using paper and pencil. Feel free to post specific questions here about stuff you don't understand there. 8-)

Thank you I will look further into your suggestions and the website does look helpful. I was lucky enough to come across this site and after reading some of the threads it looked good so hence my questions.