Math Question For Younger Brother

mathdad

My younger brother will be 43 years old on May 12. He knows about my passion for math and has requested a question or formula leading to the answer of 43. Can anyone help me fulfill his desire? Thank you.

You might tell him:

• 43 is a prime number, and is part of the twin prime pair (41,43).
  • [MATH]43=6^2+6^1+6^0[/MATH]
  • [MATH]43=3^2+3^2+5^2[/MATH]

My younger brother ... has requested a question or formula leading to the answer of 43.
Hi. You seem to know enough to create an algebraic word problem, but (from what you've posted regarding your family's interest in math) I have no idea what your brother has in mind.

What are your thoughts, so far?

One idea: Show him a word problem that can be solved by using a system of linear equations. Here is an example that will work on your brother's birthday (assuming your age doesn't change before his does).

Seven years ago, my brother's age was the same as my age 18 years ago. In two years from now, the sum of our ages will be 101 years. What is my brother's age today?

?

Hi. You seem to know enough to create an algebraic word problem, but (from what you've posted regarding your family's interest in math) I have no idea what your brother has in mind.

What are your thoughts, so far?

One idea: Show him a word problem that can be solved by using a system of linear equations. Here is an example that will work on your brother's birthday (assuming your age doesn't change before his does).

Seven years ago, my brother's age was the same as my age 18 years ago. In two years from now, the sum of our ages will be 101 years. What is my brother's age today?

?

I was thinking about variables.

Let G = Graig's age on May 12
Let x = 4
Let y = 10
Let z = (2^1 + 2^0)

G = x(y) + z