mean velocity using integration

yohanson77

Hello again.

I have this one:

Q. The velocity 'V' m/s of a missile fired from a launcher varies with the horizontal distance 'X' kilometers according to the eqaution:

V=6X-X^2

Using integration determine the mean velocity of the missile as it travels from X=0 to X=6 kilometers.

I have so far:

V= Limit(inter(X)/6-0 dx

=Limit(inter 6X-X^2/6 dx

=1/6(Limit(inter 6X-X^2 dx

So far......sorry if it does not make sence, inter(integrate)

Thanks

Yohanson :D

something is not right ... max velocity of a missile is only 9 m/s? that's only about 20 mph.

you sure you have correctly provided all the given information regarding units?

I'm not sure what you're doing with the "velocity" formula...?

Has your class covered "average value of a function" yet? If not, try here or here for an explanation. Once you've studied what's going on, you'll see what is almost-certainly intended for this exercise (namely, integrate over the interval to find the total "area", and then divide by the "width" to get the average "height").

Eliz.

All Info is correct

Hi Skeeter,
I've checked the question and all the info is correct. I done a question yesterday and it had a vehicle weighing 39,000 tonnes, that I would like to see. :D

yours

yohanson

yohanson77 said:
Hello again.

I have this one:

Q. The velocity 'V' m/s of a missile fired from a launcher varies with the horizontal distance 'X' kilometers according to the eqaution:

V=6X-X^2

Using integration determine the mean velocity of the missile as it travels from X=0 to X=6 kilometers.

I have so far:

V= Limit(inter(X)/6-0 dx

=Limit(inter 6X-X^2/6 dx

=1/6(Limit(inter 6X-X^2 dx

So far......sorry if it does not make sence, inter(integrate)

Thanks

Yohanson :D

You have to first integrate the expression - then apply the limit - then divide by 6

Average velocity = 1/6 int[0 to 6][6x-x^2] dx

= 1/6 * [0 to 6][3x^2 - x^3/3]

= 1/6 * [{3*36 - 216/3} - {0}]

= 6