Measurement

Grace20

Can someone please explain this question?

A piece of fabric measuring 32 cm by 15 cm was required for each pupil in a Year 8 design and technology lesson. What was the minimum length of 120cm wide fabric required for 29 pupils?

Answer

The book says the answer is 8 but I don't understand why, can someone please explain why.

You have eight pieces in a row here:
zeichnung2.jpg

you need at least 4 rows for 32 pieces.
One row has the length of 32 cm, so now you just need the length of the 4 rows.
zeichnung3.png

Last edited:
The book says the answer is 8 but I don't understand why, can someone please explain why.

That answer is WRONG.

Length cannot be just 8 - it must have units, like, cm or ft or miles, etc.

I think you are misunderstanding that "8". It is not the length of the cloth. Since 15 divides into 120 exactly 8 times, you can put the 15 cm measurement you can put 8 pieces wide. 8 divides into 29 three times with 5 remainder. So you will need 4 rows to get all 29 pieces (three of 8 and 5 more in the fourth row). So how long are 4 rows of length 32 cm each?

I think you are misunderstanding that "8". It is not the length of the cloth. Since 15 divides into 120 exactly 8 times, you can put the 15 cm measurement you can put 8 pieces wide. 8 divides into 29 three times with 5 remainder. So you will need 4 rows to get all 29 pieces (three of 8 and 5 more in the fourth row). So how long are 4 rows of length 32 cm each?

Thank you for the responses... I understand now