Mineral resource calculation

GeoGuy

Appologies if this isn't the best forum to post this question in.

I'm trying to develop a spreadsheet that allows me to calculate the amount of a mineral (a mass) using 8 data points, each with it's own x, y, z position coordinate in the ground and a corresponding density. I want to assume that the amount of mineral varies linearly between points.

I'd appreciate this so much as I'm 20 years out of university any my calculus book is at work in a filing cabinet far far away

Appologies if this isn't the best forum to post this question in.

I'm trying to develop a spreadsheet that allows me to calculate the amount of a mineral (a mass) using 8 data points, each with it's own x, y, z position coordinate in the ground and a corresponding density. I want to assume that the amount of mineral varies linearly between points.

I'd appreciate this so much as I'm 20 years out of university any my calculus book is at work in a filing cabinet far far away
We have lots of questions!
First one:

You say "I want to assume that the amount of mineral varies linearly between points"

I am assuming when you say that - you are referring to some property of the points - most probably the coordinates (x, y and z) - Is that correct?

We have lots of questions!
First one:

You say "I want to assume that the amount of mineral varies linearly between points"

I am assuming when you say that - you are referring to some property of the points - most probably the coordinates (x, y and z) - Is that correct?

The distance betwen coordinates is linear yes. But I want to assume the concentration of the mineral I'm analysing also varies linearly between two points.

Much thanks my friend.

If the density varies linearly between point, then the total between the points is equal to the average density, (d(x)+ d(y))/2, multiplied by the distance between the two points |x- y|. Here, because there are 3 dimensions, every point is surrounded by 6 points. (x positive, x negative, y positive, y negative, z positive and z negative) so average the values at those points and divide by the volume of that region.