minimize and critical number of 11-x + 2 sqrt(25+ x^2)

domo256

okay this was an optimization word problem, I solved for f(x) which is right (the above equation) but I suck at minimizing with square roots, I did this quickly and I know its not right, a tip would be great.

= (3x^2-25)/[(sqrt (x^2 + 25) (2x + sqrt (x^2 + 25)]

Then I just need to find the critical point, which is easy once my derivative is right

thanks a bunch

Is your function to be minimized:

f(x) = 11 - x + 2 * sqrt(25 + x^2) ?

Then

domo256 said:
= (3x^2-25)/[(sqrt (x^2 + 25) (2x + sqrt (x^2 + 25)]... what is this?

Please provide proper explanation.

sorry I got sloppy, yes i needed to solve a word problem and 1st figure out the function which turned out to be f(x) = 11 - x + 2 * sqrt(25 + x^2) This needs to be minimized, which I tried to do but did not do it right, I struggle with derivatives with square roots and cube roots and then tend to mess it up, I think the numerator of my derivative is wrong but the denominator I thought was right /sqrt (x^2 + 25) (2x + sqrt (x^2 + 25)

Hello, domo256!

I assume the function is: \(\displaystyle \:f(x) \:=\:11\,-\,x\,+\,2(25\,+\,x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}\)

Then: \(\displaystyle \:f'(x)\;=\;-1\,+\,2\cdot\frac{1}{2}(25\,+\,x^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\cdot2x\;=\;-1\,+\,\frac{2x}{\sqrt{25\,+\,x^2}}\)

We have: \(\displaystyle \:-1\,+\,\frac{2x}{\sqrt{25\,+\,x^2}}\;=\;0\)

Multiply through by \(\displaystyle \sqrt{25\,+\,x^2}:\;\;-\sqrt{25\,+\,x^2}\, +\, 2x \;=\;0\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;2x\:=\:\sqrt{25\,+\,x^2}\)

Square both sides: \(\displaystyle \:4x^2\:=\:25\,+\,x^2\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;3x^2\:=\:25\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;x^2\:=\:\frac{25}{3}\)

Hence: \(\displaystyle \:x\:=\:\pm\sqrt{\frac{25}{3}} \:=\:\pm\frac{5\sqrt{3}}{3}\)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The positive root is probably the answer.

I suspect the function came from a "rowing-walking" problem.

A man is on an island 5 miles offshore.
He wants to reach a location 11 miles down the straight shoreline.
He can walk twice as fast as he can row.
He wil row to a point \(\displaystyle P\) on the shore and walk the rest of the way.
Locate point \(\displaystyle P\) to minimize the time for the journey.