missing number in the grid

nanase

1716386553009.png

hello I need help with this question, I get it as it is.
I am just wondering if there is a typo or there is a catch or something with the question?
I tried finding a 4-digits square number, and I have 77^2 which gives 5929, so the missing number is 9 ?
The answer key also says 9.
But that means there is a typo where the 2nd last number should be 2 instead of 1?
Anyone can direct me with this?

Four-digit perfect squares
I'm wondering why they wrote "squares" (plural) because none of the provided rows or columns are perfect squares. (The 2nd row is not a 4-digit number.)

Did you get this grid in math class? That is, can you explain why it's a grid at all?

:)

View attachment 37928

hello I need help with this question, I get it as it is.
I am just wondering if there is a typo or there is a catch or something with the question?
I tried finding a 4-digits square number, and I have 77^2 which gives 5929, so the missing number is 9 ?
The answer key also says 9.
But that means there is a typo where the 2nd last number should be 2 instead of 1?
Anyone can direct me with this?
Yes, there is a "catch": No one can say what should be in the grid if there is no explanation of what the grid means. So it is a meaningless question.

And the hint says nothing. It clearly is not a definition of the contents of the grid; they seem to be saying that you should see some pattern (and then assume that it is intended) by thinking about perfect squares. At the least, that is not mathematics; it is just a puzzle (along the lines of "what have I got in my pocket").

I see, that is the last question from a competition paper I am going through as part of my training. I copied the question exactly as it is, and the answer key also says 9. My teacher told me the question is correct and there is no typo. I am still not getting the logic in answering though

the name of competition is Simoc and the paper should be from grade 9 or 10

Have you tried grouping the squares by four other than by row or column, to check for perfect squares? For example, the 2×2 grids in each of the given grid's corners. Check permutations of those 4-digit groups. Or, some other 4-digit groupings, like the following.

Given grid:
A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
M N O P

Get four 4-digit numbers by picking four paths:
CBAE
MIJF
NOPL
KGHD

If such a grouping doesn't work, try reversing the order of the digits (to obtain four new number to check) or try a different set of four paths.

Have you tried grouping the squares by four other than by row or column, to check for perfect squares? For example, the 2×2 grids in each of the given grid's corners. Check permutations of those 4-digit groups. Or, some other 4-digit groupings, like the following.

Given grid:
A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
M N O P

Get four 4-digit numbers by picking four paths:
CBAE
MIJF
NOPL
KGHD

If such a grouping doesn't work, try reversing the order of the digits (to obtain four new number to check) or try a different set of four paths.

Can you give more hints because I am still confused.
So we form a square of 2x2?
If took the bottom right square I will have
6 3
1 9
but this is still not a square number right?

6 3
1 9
but this is still not a square number right?
It is, when you arrange those digits in the proper order. But that strategy requires finding a successful ordering in the other three corners, too. Let us know what you find.