Mixing Up Numbers

surrealgirl

I'm curious to see if anyone has any advice, and I'm not sure where to post my question. I am 25 years old and highly intelligent by academic standards, but I have always done poorly in written mathematics. My pattern identification skills and visual mathematical abilities are excellent, and I do not have difficulty with words or word order. But I transverse numbers and processes consistently, and I cannot see the errors easily when checking my work. I didn't figure out multiplication until the 5th grade (using rhymes), and I didn't learn to read time until a similar age.

My problem is this: I need a 1200 on the GRE to get into the Graduate school of my choice. I scored a 700 on the verbal, but only a 490 on the quantitative. I'm 10 points shy of my goal and can't seem to do any better on the practice tests. I don't have trouble understanding the concepts, but I can never seem to get the right solution on paper! The GRE answer choices often show the numbers backwards as one of the options...I'm at a loss. Any idea why I might have this issue or how I might improve my visual number recognition?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What you describe sounds like some form of dyslexia, to me. My suggestion is to confirm whether or not this is true.

Ask your family doctor for a referral to undergo a comprehensive psycho-neurological examination. This will identify any learning disabilities and cognitive deficits.

There are specific training methods to help people deal with these types of issues. I have no formal training in teaching methods designed for those with dyslexia, but I worked with a dyslexic (phototypographer) for several years, and she spoke about monthly sessions with a clinical psychologist (PhD) who helped her gain the ability to recognize most of her mistakes as she made them.