[MOVED] explain the meaning of f(200) in terms of ....

DKN

I am lost at how to explain this problem.

The pollutant PCB (polychlorinated biphenyl) affects the thickness of pelican eggs. Thinking of the thickness, T,of the eggs, in mm, as a function of the concentration, P,of PCBs in ppm (parts per million), we have T = f(P).Explain the meaning of f(200) in terms of thickness of pelican eggs and concentration of PCBs.

Thanks for any help.

What does the exercise give as the meaning of "P"? What does the exercise give as the meaning of "T"? Since f(P) is the value of T for a given value of P, what then is the meaning of "f(P)"?

Since "f(200)" means "the value of f when P = 200", and since f(P) = T, then what does "f(200)" indicate?

Please reply showing all of your reasoning, specifying where you are stuck. Thank you.

Eliz.

stapel said:
What does the exercise give as the meaning of "P"? What does the exercise give as the meaning of "T"? Since f(P) is the value of T for a given value of P, what then is the meaning of "f(P)"?

Since "f(200)" means "the value of f when P = 200", and since f(P) = T, then what does "f(200)" indicate?

Please reply showing all of your reasoning, specifying where you are stuck. Thank you.

Eliz.
Well P is the function of concentration and T is the thickness. So I guess f(200) means that T is 200mm and P is 200ppm?

DKN said:
Well P is the function of concentration...
No; "P" is the concentration. The thicknes "T" is a function of (related to, dependent upon) the concentration.

DKN said:
I guess f(200) means that T is 200mm
Since the function is given as being f(P), not f(T), I'm not sure where you're getting that the 200 in f(200) is the value of T...?

Re-read the exercise carefully. Everything is clearly defined. This exercise is just asking you to provide those definitions.

Eliz.