[MOVED] Find thickness of oil, given area of water, volume.

kpx001

1 tspn of oil covers 0.5 acres of still water. If you know that 1.0 x 10^4 m^2 = 2.47 acres, and that there are approximately 5 cm^3 in a teaspoon, what os the thickness of the layer of oil?

i tried converting 5cm^3 into 5mL and i know that 5mL = .05 acre of water. im clueless from then on.

i dunno if this will help but the density of oil is .875 g/ cm^3

Re: [MOVED] Find thickness of oil, given area of water, volu

kpx001 said:
1 tspn of oil covers 0.5 acres of still water. If you know that 1.0 x 10^4 m^2 = 2.47 acres, and that there are approximately 5 cm^3 in a teaspoon, what os the thickness of the layer of oil? ...the density of oil is .875 g/ cm^3
If 10000 m<sup>2</sup> = 2.47 acres, then how many square meters are in 0.5 acres? (Hint: Divide.)

How many centimeters are in one meter? So how many square centimeters are in one square meter? (Hint: Multiply.)

If one teaspoon equals 5 cm<sup>3</sup>, then how many cubic centimeters of oil do you have?

You have an area of water (the surface being covered) and a volume of oil. If you divide a volume (width times length times depth) by the area (width times length), what are you left with? (Hint: Look at the dimensions.)

Can you see now how to find the depth of oil, given the volume of oil and the area over which it's spread? :wink:

kpx001 said:
i know that 5mL = .05 acre
No. Milliliters measure volume; acres measure area. They cannot be equivalent. Sorry!

Eliz.