MSD of a vector

Steven G

Elite Member
I am not understanding the definition of MSD(x) below. They clearly say that x is an n-vector but then they are talking about summing over i's and j's. That part confuses me. Can someone please enlighten me possibly with an example.
Thank you,
Steven

1575522541923.png

We are summing values of an n x n array. Each value is a square of the difference of ith and jth entries of the vector.

We are summing values of an n x n array. Each value is a square of the difference of ith and jth entries of the vector.
I am totally confused. How can an n-vector be an nxn array (I'm not saying that you are wrong). I did assume that but it seemed strange.

The passage mentioned that there will be n^2 entries. If you have an n-vector (v1, v2, ..., vn), then how do you find n differences to square? I find many more! Like (v1-v2), (v1-v3), ... (v1-vn), (v2-v3)...(v2-vn),..., (v(n-1) -vn).

What am I missing? If you have the time can you give an actual example?
THANKS

The array is not the vector.
Let's set up an n by n table. Put vector entries in the column and row headings. Put the difference of the corresponding headings in each cell. Then square each cell. Then sum all cells.

The idea is that we are looking at differences of each entry with all other entries, including itself (the diagonal will be all zeroes).

For example, let the vector be <3. 2. 1>. x1= 3 and subtracting each of the entries gives the 3- 3= 0, 3- 2= 1. 3- 1= 2. Similarly, x2 minus each of the entries is 2- 3= -1, 2- 2= -0, 2- 1= 1, and x3 minus each of the others is 1- 3= -2, 1- 2= -1. 1- 1= 0. The 9 entries in the matrix referred to are 0, 1, 2, -1, 0, 1, -2, -1, and, 0 . Of course, for each xi- xj there is a corresponding xj- xi this is an anti-symmetric matrix. The sum of all its values is 0. To avoid that we square and get 0^2+ 1^2+ 2^2+ (-1)^2+ 0^2+ 1^2+ (-2)^2+ 1^2+ 0^2= 1+ 4+ 1+ 1+ 4+ 1= 12. Dividing by n^2= 3^2= 9. the MSD is 12/9= 4/3.