Multiplying 2 linear functions

shahar

How I prove that multiplying 2 linear functions can give in the result with power 3? power 4? power n?
(n > 2)

Are you asking if you can show that (x - a)(x - b) can be a cubic function [imath]cx^3+ dx^2 + cx + d[/imath]? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

-Dan

Are you asking if you can show that (x - a)(x - b) can be a cubic function [imath]cx^3+ dx^2 + cx + d[/imath]? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

-Dan
Yes. How can I show it (that the solution can be cubic, for example)?

You can't prove it- it isn't true! Any two linear function are of the form y= ax+ b and y= cx+ d for numbers a, b, c, and d. Their product is (ax+ b)(cx+ d)= acx^2+ (bc+ ad)x+ bd, of degree 2, NOT 3 or 4.

In general the product of two polynomials of degrees m and n is a polynomial of degree m+ n.

You can't prove it- it isn't true! Any two linear function are of the form y= ax+ b and y= cx+ d for numbers a, b, c, and d. Their product is (ax+ b)(cx+ d)= acx^2+ (bc+ ad)x+ bd, of degree 2, NOT 3 or 4.

In general the product of two polynomials of degrees m and n is a polynomial of degree m+ n.
I meant how to prove that isn't true. How can I prove it? By powers laws?!

I meant how to prove that isn't true. How can I prove it? By powers laws?!
Shiloh gave you the proof in post #5. He showed that the product of two linear functions is a quadratic. Not a cubic, or quartic, or etc.

-Dan