Need a bit of help simplifying expressions..

dear_miss_katie

Hello! I've got a math worksheet and I'm really confused on what to do on a few tricky problems. If someone could help me out with one or all of them I would really appreciate it!
The directions on my worksheet read "Use the properties of exponents to simplify each expression"

(4t^2n)(3t)^n

On this one, I first tried simply multiplying it out to get (4t^2n)[(3^n)(t^n)], but one of my classmates said this was wrong. Any ideas on what I should have done?

Also, I need a little help starting this one:
(5r-3t)^5 (3t-5r)^2 (3t-5r)
What should I do first? Factor out a GCF or first take out a negative to make them all the same? and if I do take out a negative first and then add the exponents of the like terms, is it possible to state the finished answer as -(3t-5r)^8 ?

Finally, I have no idea what to do first in this problem either:
[2(x+3y)^2]^5 {3(x+3y)^4]^3
Can I factor out a GCF first? or should i multiply the exponents together? It would be so great if someone could just get me started on these problems. Thanks!

dear_miss_katie said:
Hello! I've got a math worksheet and I'm really confused on what to do on a few tricky problems. If someone could help me out with one or all of them I would really appreciate it!
The directions on my worksheet read "Use the properties of exponents to simplify each expression"

(4t^2n)(3t)^n

On this one, I first tried simply multiplying it out to get (4t^2n)[(3^n)(t^n)], but one of my classmates said this was wrong. Any ideas on what I should have done?

hint ... t<sup>2n</sup> * t<sup>n</sup> = t<sup>2n + n</sup>

Also, I need a little help starting this one:
(5r-3t)^5 (3t-5r)^2 (3t-5r)
What should I do first? Factor out a GCF or first take out a negative to make them all the same? and if I do take out a negative first and then add the exponents of the like terms, is it possible to state the finished answer as -(3t-5r)^8 ?

yes

Finally, I have no idea what to do first in this problem either:
[2(x+3y)^2]^5 {3(x+3y)^4]^3
Can I factor out a GCF first? or should i multiply the exponents together?

hint ... 2<sup>5</sup>*(x+3y)<sup>10</sup>*3<sup>3</sup>*(x+3y)<sup>12</sup>

It would be so great if someone could just get me started on these problems. Thanks!