Need help for paneling my new lab

Z00Y00X

Hi Everyone, I have recently started my own business and I am in the process of building the laboratory. I would like your help in calculating the total number of sound proofing panels I would require for covering my four walls in the new laboratory. Mathematics isn't my strong suit.

The panels come in packs of 6 squares and are 30cm x 30cm at £10.00 per pack.

The height of all of my 4 walls is the same at 220cm high.
The first wall's length is 168cm
The second wall's length is 208cm
The third wall's length is 168cm
The fourth wall's length is 208cm

Is anyone able to tell me how many tiles would be needed to cover each of the walls?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Everyone, I have recently started my own business and I am in the process of building the laboratory. I would like your help in calculating the total number of sound proofing panels I would require for covering my four walls in the new laboratory. Mathematics isn't my strong suit.

The panels come in packs of 6 squares and are 30cm x 30cm at £10.00 per pack.

The height of all of my 4 walls is the same at 220cm high.
The first wall's length is 168cm
The second wall's length is 208cm
The third wall's length is 168cm
The fourth wall's length is 208cm

Is anyone able to tell me how many tiles would be needed to cover each of the walls?

Thank you in advance.
Sounds like a good problem for a basic geometry class. Let's see if you can learn that skill.

What you need to do is to imagine actually placing the tiles. Other approaches, such as working out the total area, are likely to collide with reality.

So, take the first wall, 220 cm high by 168 cm long. How many rows of 30-cm tiles can you fit? (You'll have to do some cutting; round up to a whole number of tiles.) How many tiles will fit in each row? The number of tiles for that wall is the product of the two numbers.

The same number works for the third wall; and do the same sort of thinking for the second and fourth. Then add all the numbers together.

You'll have to decide whether you can use any of the cut-off parts; that depends in part on your knowledge of the materials and your carpentry skills, as well as on the amount left over for a given tile.

Sounds like a good problem for a basic geometry class. Let's see if you can learn that skill.

What you need to do is to imagine actually placing the tiles. Other approaches, such as working out the total area, are likely to collide with reality.

So, take the first wall, 220 cm high by 168 cm long. How many rows of 30-cm tiles can you fit? (You'll have to do some cutting; round up to a whole number of tiles.) How many tiles will fit in each row? The number of tiles for that wall is the product of the two numbers.

The same number works for the third wall; and do the same sort of thinking for the second and fourth. Then add all the numbers together.

You'll have to decide whether you can use any of the cut-off parts; that depends in part on your knowledge of the materials and your carpentry skills, as well as on the amount left over for a given tile.
Based on this, I have an approximation with cut offs and round of:

~ 50 TILES ON BACK (LONG) WALL
~ 38 TILES ON LEFT WALL (NO WINDOW)
~ 36 TILES ON RIGHT WALL (WINDOW)
~ 50 TILES ON FRONT (LONG) WALL

Thank you for you help Dr.Peterson!