need help please

bamagirl11

After each snowstorm in Big City, USA plows remove snow from 762 lane miles of road, which is equivalent to about 48,000,000 square feet. The snowfall total was 34.2 inches in Big City, USA last winter. Suppose every snowfall evenly blanketed all road surfaces. How many cubic feet of snow were plowed last winter in Big City, USA?

Now suppose that 1 cubic foot of snow weighs about 15 pounds. Based on this information and the last problem, approximately how many tons of snow were plowed in Big City, USA last winter?

After each snowstorm in Big City, USA plows remove snow from 762 lane miles of road, which is equivalent to about 48,000,000 square feet. The snowfall total was 34.2 inches in Big City, USA last winter. Suppose every snowfall evenly blanketed all road surfaces. How many cubic feet of snow were plowed last winter in Big City, USA?

Now suppose that 1 cubic foot of snow weighs about 15 pounds. Based on this information and the last problem, approximately how many tons of snow were plowed in Big City, USA last winter?
What is the formula for volume, given width and length (so area) and depth (or height)? ;)

So I multiply 48,000,000 (area) x 34.2 (height)?

Yes and no!

Yes you would multiply the area by height.

But you need to convert 34.2" (inches) to feet by dividing by twelve (12). Thus:

Volume = 48 * 106 * 34.2/12 cu.ft

After each snowstorm in Big City, USA plows remove snow from 762 lane miles of road, which is equivalent to about 48,000,000 square feet. The snowfall total was 34.2 inches in Big City, USA last winter. Suppose every snowfall evenly blanketed all road surfaces. How many cubic feet of snow were plowed last winter in Big City, USA? Do I multiply 48,000,000 by 34.2?
Now suppose that 1 cubic foot of snow weighs about 15 pounds. Based on this information and the last problem, approximately how many tons of snow were plowed in Big City, USA last winter? Do I multiply the previous answer by 15?

After each snowstorm in Big City, USA plows remove snow from 762 lane miles of road, which is equivalent to about 48,000,000 square feet. The snowfall total was 34.2 inches in Big City, USA last winter. Suppose every snowfall evenly blanketed all road surfaces. How many cubic feet of snow were plowed last winter in Big City, USA? Do I multiply 48,000,000 by 34.2? This is wrong. See below.
Now suppose that 1 cubic foot of snow weighs about 15 pounds. Based on this information and the last problem, approximately how many tons of snow were plowed in Big City, USA last winter? Do I multiply the previous answer by 15? Multiplying by 15 is correct, but your previous answer is wrong.
You are making a mistake, but it is hard to know what is the best way to explain why it is a mistake when we know so little about where you are in your education.

OK The simple answer is that when you multiply square feet and inches you get an answer that has inconsistent units. Do you understand why that is a problem? How could you express the height of the snow in terms of feet to make your units consistent? Then what would you do?