Need help understanding 7p-(-5)+(-1): where in the world does the + come from?

Shaje159

I tried to google a lot first to see if anyone had my same issue, and could not find any answers, so forgive me if this has been posted before but I am so lost trying to learn this.

I know for 7p-(-5)+(-1) it’s supposed to be 7p-(-5)+(-1) = 7p + 5 +(-1) = 7p+4 …. But where in the world does the + come from in this part “= 7p + 5 +(-1)”? Please, help me understand that part I’m stuck and can’t move forward because I feel like I don’t know why there’s suddenly a + there.

7p-(-5)+(-1) = 7p + 5 +(-1)

where does the + come from in this part… 7p + 5
Hi Shaje159. Now that you're doing arithmetic with signed numbers, you can view subtraction in a new way: Subtraction is the same as "adding the opposite". In other words, subtracting -5 is the same as adding +5. This is a general rule.

The model for subtraction is "taking something away".

6 – 5 = 1

The 5 is a positive amount that we take away from six.

-5 and 5 are opposite numbers. Subtracting a negative amount has the opposite effect of taking away: adding.

6 – (-5) = 6 + 5 = 11

Again, subtracting a negative number is the same as adding the opposite number.

Think of debt. Debt is negative money. If I "take away" your debt, it's the same as giving you money (which is positive).

If you search keywords subtracting negative numbers, then you'll find lots of examples and lessons.

:)

PS: It works this way, too: Adding a negative number may now be viewed as subtracting the opposite number.

6 + (-5) = 6 – 5

In other words, adding a negative has the opposite effect of adding: subtraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to google a lot first to see if anyone had my same issue, and could not find any answers, so forgive me if this has been posted before but I am so lost trying to learn this.

I know for 7p-(-5)+(-1) it’s supposed to be 7p-(-5)+(-1) = 7p + 5 +(-1) = 7p+4 …. But where in the world does the + come from in this part “= 7p + 5 +(-1)”? Please, help me understand that part I’m stuck and can’t move forward because I feel like I don’t know why there’s suddenly a + there.
You will also find lots of examples and explanations on this website.

Hope that helps. ☺️