Need Help with Calculus/Intro to Calc Problem

rheaaa

Hello, I've been having difficulty with this problem and I need some help on how to start and solve this question:

Bruce bicycles across a Bridge, ride a flat road, then up a hill. At the top, he turns around and goes back down the
hill, over the flats, and back over the bridge. As Bruce looks at his speedometer,
he sees that he goes a steady 15 miles per hour (mph) on the flats (including the
bridge), 6 mph up-hill, and 24 mph down-hill. It turns out that the entire ride takes an hour and a half, and that he has
traveled 18 miles.
a. How many “flat” miles were in Bruce's ride? How many up-hill miles?
How many down-hill miles?

Let me know if you can help!

I'll be able to help once I know what help you need.

Please show your work, so we can see where your difficulty lies.

This is really an algebra problem, not calculus -- but most students taking calculus need a lot of review in algebra.

I would start by defining a variable representing the distance on flat parts, and writing an expression for the distance on hills. Then I'd write an equation that says the total time is 1.5 hour. Then I'd check my equation carefully before solving it, because there are several easy mistakes to make! Keep in mind that you are given the total time and distance for the round trip, not one-way.