Need help with forming an equation and making a graph out of it

ayeshablah

Hi!

First of all, I'm sorry if im posting this in the wrong section. Im new here so im not completely aware of the rules and regulations.

Okay, so im a beginner and its been years since i studied maths but now we have a math course in our semester. So the question im about to ask you might seem simple, but I happen to suck at maths and thats why Im in need of your help!

Anyways theres these 2 questions im suppose to make an equation out of and then make a graph and solve it simultaneously. So please tell me how am i supposed tp dit

1. Patisha has more money than andre. If patisha gave andre $20, they would havr the samr amount; while if andre gave patisha $22, patisha then would have twice as much as andre.

^I tried solving this one and the equation i formed is:

For andre its, A=P-20
For patisha its, 2P=A-20

Im not sure if this is right and even if it os then how will i solve it simultaneously and then theres a part of this question that says 'use the graph to figure out the amount they both have'...now this is someyhing im clueless about!

2. 1000 passes are sold. Passes of big people cost $8.50, passes for small people are $4.50 and a total of 7300 was collected.

^im supposed to do the same for this question i.e to form an equation, make a graph, solve it simultaneously and then theres a part of it that says, 'how much amount does each type have?'

I'd be really glad if someone could help me out!
Thank you in advance! :)

Hi!

First of all, I'm sorry if im posting this in the wrong section. Im new here so im not completely aware of the rules and regulations.

Okay, so im a beginner and its been years since i studied maths but now we have a math course in our semester. So the question im about to ask you might seem simple, but I happen to suck at maths and thats why Im in need of your help!

Anyways theres these 2 questions im suppose to make an equation out of and then make a graph and solve it simultaneously. So please tell me how am i supposed tp dit

1. Patisha has more money than andre. If patisha gave andre $20, they would havr the samr amount; while if andre gave patisha $22, patisha then would have twice as much as andre.

Define your variables explicitly

let

y = money Patisha has now

x = money Andre has now

If patisha gave andre $20, they would have the same amount
→ y - 20 = x + 20 ......................................(1)

if andre gave patisha $22, patisha then would have twice as much as andre→ 2 * (x - 22) = y + 22 ......................................(2)

Now the equation (1) can be rewritten as

y = x + 40 ....................plot this (straight line)

and the equation (2) can be rewritten as

y = 2*x - 66 ....................plot this (straight line)

Intersection point of these two lines is your solution.

^I tried solving this one and the equation i formed is:

For andre its, A=P-20
For patisha its, 2P=A-20

Im not sure if this is right and even if it os then how will i solve it simultaneously and then theres a part of this question that says 'use the graph to figure out the amount they both have'...now this is someyhing im clueless about!

2. 1000 passes are sold. Passes of big people cost $8.50, passes for small people are $4.50 and a total of 7300 was collected.

^im supposed to do the same for this question i.e to form an equation, make a graph, solve it simultaneously and then theres a part of it that says, 'how much amount does each type have?'

I'd be really glad if someone could help me out!
Thank you in advance! :)