need help with math problem

firebyrd

This is the word problem I have been given as an extra credit and we have not gone over the full details of how to solve it.

The container has a volume of 2535 cubic inches and is an open square box 15 inches deep. It will be made from a square piece of cardboard by cutting the corners and folding up the edges. Find the dimensions of the original piece of cardboard. We have learned the how to find the volume, but that is as far as it goes. Can anyone help????

This is actually very easy. Think about it. How do you express the volume of the box with a square base?. You know the height and volume already.

firebyrd said:
This is the word problem I have been given as an extra credit and we have not gone over the full details of how to solve it.

The container has a volume of 2535 cubic inches and is an open square box 15 inches deep. It will be made from a square piece of cardboard by cutting the corners and folding up the edges. Find the dimensions of the original piece of cardboard. We have learned the how to find the volume, but that is as far as it goes. Can anyone help????

Ok...you are looking for the length of a side of the original SQUARE piece of cardboard.

Let x = length of a side of that piece of cardboard.

If the box resulting from cutting out a square from each corner, and folding it up to make the open box has a depth of 15 inches, then you MUST have cut a square with sides 15 inches out of each corner.

If you cut out squares of 15 inches each from each corner of the piece of cardboard, then the base of the box will be x - 2*15

Base of box is x - 30
Height of box is 15

Volume of box is 2535.

Ok...this is "extra credit," so you do NOT get an answer from me.