Need Help With Several Problems!

rybell

Ok I have a test tomorrow and im trying to prepare as much as possible. Teacher gave us some problems out of the book. I've done them but im unsure on a few answer wise, and teacher can't "help figure them out" until tomorrow morning, so I'd prefer to figure out the ones im having problems with now, as far as the process and etc goes, so that I can just review and refresh my memory in the morning instead of cramming more info when im half asleep...yeah I know..I tend to ramble...

Anyway here are the problems, can someone explain to me the process and answers? (and nope, answers aren't in back of my book :? )

1. Determine the contant k so that (3,2) will be a solution of 2x+ky=k+1

2. Find the solution set of 2x+3y=12 if each variable represents a whole number.

3. Put the following into y= form.

a. 3x-2y=-6
b. x/3 + y/-4=1

4. Find the slope for the equation 3x-5y=10

5. Determine the contant k so that the graph of 3x+ (k+1)y=k-1 will have a slope of 2.

6. Find equations in standard form of the lines described below.

a. Passes through (1,-2) with slope of 3
b. Passes through (-2,0) and (0,6)

7. Find equations in standard form of the lines through (3,-1) that are
a) parallel to and b) perpendicular to the line 2x-4y=5

9. The riverboat Alert takes 6 hours to travel 120 km upstream but only 4 hours to return. Find the speed of the current and the speed of the riverboat in still water.

13. A load of 6 kg strentches of coil spring to a length of 30cm, and a load of 10 kg stretches it to a length of 40 cm. Find the length of the spring when there is no load.

Thank you guys so much for the help!

Why not post your answers?
We can advise you.

sure thing. Some I couldnt get started on..but the others sure..let me see....

Answers I got:

1. K=5/3 i get the multiplication of 2(3)+k(2)=k+1
is 6+2k=k+1
but not anything after that.

2. Im kind of lost on this one, I got a feeling you plug in stuff but not sure how to go about it.

3. a. x=-2
b. y=8x+2
c. y=-2-4

4. couldnt get that one (I suck at Algebra, I know)

5. This one I had no idea about either, slope of 2 got me stumped.

6. know how to do these but not with the graphs....

7. dont remember how to do

9. I know I have to set this up into 2 systems of equations or something, not sure how to set it up though, or how to tell which goes in which. and all the stuff after

13. Same as above

Sorry I couldn't give you more answers, but most of my complete answers are to the ones I knew were correct..most of these, the ones im having problems on, I can't even figure out how to do properly.

I will be forever grateful for whoever can help me by showing me step by step the process for these (if one requires graphing, its ok you dont need to show the graph, too much trouble) since I really need to do good on this test. Need this stuff to study and extend off of.

Thnx a bunch!

no offense to any of you but...umm...thanks for the umm....help.... :?

rybell said:
no offense to any of you but...umm...thanks for the umm....help....
No offense, but there is no paid staff waiting on-hand through the night to provide instant answers. The tutors are volunteers, sometimes fellow students, who surf by as they have the time. Many sleep at night, or for other reasons may be unavailable. You should expect to wait hours, if not days, for an online reply.

Thank you for your consideration.

Eliz.