need help with this calculas/matrices problem

MDBFS

image0 (1) (1).jpeg:(:(:(

PART C PLEASE

Use Elementary Row Operations to find scalars α, β and γ (not all zero) such that the unit vector [1, 0, 0]T can be written as a linear combination of the three column vectors of the coefficient matrix A.

View attachment 27076:(:(:(

PART C PLEASE

Use Elementary Row Operations to find scalars α, β and γ (not all zero) such that the unit vector [1, 0, 0]T can be written as a linear combination of the three column vectors of the coefficient matrix A.
Please share your work for part (a) & (b).

That means you want to solve the matrix equation that you wrote out in (a), with [MATH]\begin{pmatrix} 3\\ 0\\ 6 \end{pmatrix}[/MATH] being replaced by [MATH]\begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0\\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]Then write out the 'augmented matrix' and use e.r.o. s to get it into reduced echelon form.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 111954.png

AND PART B IS UNIQUE SOLUTIONS SINCE THE DETERMINANT IS MORE THAN O AND IS NON-HOMOGENEOUS

That means you want to solve the matrix equation that you wrote out in (a), with [MATH]\begin{pmatrix} 3\\ 0\\ 6 \end{pmatrix}[/MATH] being replaced by [MATH]\begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0\\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]Then write out the 'augmented matrix' and use e.r.o. s to get it into reduced echelon form.

thank you! actually, the problem is more so that I'm having a hard time reducing the augmented matrics using ERO

In part (c) you are trying to solve:

[MATH]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 &3\\ 1 & 3 & 5\\ 1 & 5 &12\\ \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \alpha\\ \beta \\ \gamma \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]
The augmented matrix you are going to work on is:
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 &3 &1\\
1 & 3 & 5 & 0\\
1 & 5 &12 & 0\\

\end{pmatrix}

The procedure is algorithmic and you can read a description in the attached pdf.
If you want to send your work we can have a look at it.
It'll be easy, don't worry.

Attachments

• ERO.pdf
    183.8 KB · Views: 5
In part (c) you are trying to solve:

[MATH]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 &3\\ 1 & 3 & 5\\ 1 & 5 &12\\ \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \alpha\\ \beta \\ \gamma \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]
The augmented matrix you are going to work on is:
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2 &3 &1\\
1 & 3 & 5 & 0\\
1 & 5 &12 & 0\\

\end{pmatrix}

The procedure is algorithmic and you can read a description in the attached pdf.
If you want to send your work we can have a look at it.
It'll be easy, don't worry.

oh just saw this but thank you very much, it took me some time but I figured it out I got 11/3 -7/3 and 2/3 respectively

Reactions: lex