Need help

What don't you understand about the explanation? It seems rather straight forward to me.

What don't you understand about the explanation? It seems rather straight forward to me.
all I want to know is how to solve for the third differentiation "add a step and there substitute the value of u=2 in obtained second derivative of given function to get the required answer. Final answer: correct answer is 1/4 not 2/u^3" based on this feedback.

Here's my attempt

Attachments

• Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    17.6 KB · Views: 6
all I want to know is how to solve for the third differentiation "add a step and there substitute the value of u=2 in obtained second derivative of given function to get the required answer. Final answer: correct answer is 1/4 not 2/u^3" based on this feedback.
[imath]{u^{ - 3}}\xrightarrow[{1st}]{D_x} - 3{u^{ - 4}}\xrightarrow[{2nd}]{D_x}12{u^{ - 5}}\xrightarrow[{3rd}]{D_x}-60{u^{ - 6}}[/imath]

Last edited:
No.

The third derivative is the derivative of the second derivative. In general, a derivative is a function rather than a specific number.

What is the second derivative according to the worked example? [math]y’’ = \dfrac{2}{u^3}.[/math]
[math]\text {Let } y‘’ = v(u) = 2u^{-3} \implies y’’’ = \dfrac{dv}{du} = (2)(-3)u^{(-3-1)} = -6u^{-4} = - \dfrac{6}{u^4}.[/math]
Now what is y’’’ when u = 2.

No.

The third derivative is the derivative of the second derivative. In general, a derivative is a function rather than a specific number.

What is the second derivative according to the worked example? [math]y’’ = \dfrac{2}{u^3}.[/math]
[math]\text {Let } y‘’ = v(u) = 2u^{-3} \implies y’’’ = \dfrac{dv}{du} = (2)(-3)u^{(-3-1)} = -6u^{-4} = - \dfrac{6}{u^4}.[/math]
Now what is y’’’ when u = 2.
Should I just solve and find all the three derivatives using u=2 and show?
(I am genuinely confused at this point)
What you have written above indeed is the way to find the third derivative, but it doesn't match the feedback I received. Now I am super confused to who is wrong(most probably its me).
? ?

Last edited:
Should I just solve and find all the three derivatives using u=2 and show?
(I am genuinely confused at this point)
What you have written above indeed is the way to find the third derivative, but it doesn't match the feedback I received. Now I am super confused to who is wrong(most probably its me).
? ?
Dolly

It is always possible that I made a mistake. But you say you are not using a text or taking a course. You have not told us what the problem even is. You say that you have received feedback that disagrees with me.

Please give the complete problem exactly as it was given to you.

What was the feedback?

I cannot begin to straighten things out working in the dark.

Dolly

It is always possible that I made a mistake. But you say you are not using a text or taking a course. You have not told us what the problem even is. You say that you have received feedback that disagrees with me.

Please give the complete problem exactly as it was given to you.

What was the feedback?

I cannot begin to straighten things out working in the dark.
ok so I received a question which said "Compute [math]\frac{d^2y}{du^2}\ |_2[/math] for [math]y=\frac{1}{u}[/math]"
In comment #5 is my answer, where I was satisfied with finding 2 derivatives and submitted it. Then today morning I received a message saying that my answer is wrong reason being: "add a step and there substitute the value of u=2 in obtained second derivative of given function to get the required answer. Final answer: correct answer is 1/4 not 2/u^3". So I ended up starting this thread and has\dn't received any replies so I solved comment/reply#7 and ended up submitting it (didn't receive any feedback yet after my rework), so from you I have learned that it is wrong. Then you shared the correct third derivative but your answer doesn't match the feedback I received.

So now all I want to know is where should I substitute [math]u=2[/math] in order for my final answer to be [math]\frac{1}{4}[/math].?

Last edited:
ok so I received a question which said "Compute [math]\frac{d^2y}{du^2}\ |_2[/math] for [math]y=\frac{1}{u}[/math]"
In comment #5 is my answer, where I was satisfied with finding 2 derivatives and submitted it. Then today morning I received a message saying that my answer is wrong reason being: "add a step and there substitute the value of u=2 in obtained second derivative of given function to get the required answer. Final answer: correct answer is 1/4 not 2/u^3". So I ended up starting this thread and has\dn't received any replies so I solved comment/reply#7 and ended up submitting it (didn't receive any feedback yet after my rework), so from you I have learned that it is wrong. Then you shared the correct third derivative but your answer doesn't match the feedback I received.

So now all I want to know is where should I substitute [math]u=2[/math] in order for my final answer to be [math]\frac{1}{4}[/math].?
The second derivative is [imath]\dfrac{2}{u^3}.[/imath]

So if u = 2, then the second derivative = [imath]\dfrac{2}{2^3} = \dfrac{2}{8} = \dfrac{1}{4}.[/imath]

And I did not give you a final answer for the third derivative, but left that for you to finish.

First you need to derive y" which is shorthand for \(\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\) and then evaluate that at x = 2

The second derivative is [imath]\dfrac{2}{u^3}.[/imath]

So if u = 2, then the second derivative = [imath]\dfrac{2}{2^3} = \dfrac{2}{8} = \dfrac{1}{4}.[/imath]

And I did not give you a final answer for the third derivative, but left that for you to finish.
I'll genuinely be honest you have helped me a lot. Much much appreciated.