New to Algebra

backgle1

:oops: Hi, I only have a 10th grade education and in 1983 Algebra was a 12th grade requirement so I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
1. f(t)=log(t-5) I understand when 2 numbers are side by side you multiply them so I get f*t=log(t-5) and I remember hearing alway do the work in parenthesis first.

2. g(x)=1n(t+4) Stuck here same questions but I've always heard you do whats in parenthesis.

3. g(t)=5 squared.

I don't understand how you get the number the g x and t represent. Hope your able to help me a little. If not God bless you anyway

Remember that to un-do a log, you take it's inverse:

\(\displaystyle y = log_b^{x}\) if \(\displaystyle b^{y} = x\)

So, lets say your log is in base 10: \(\displaystyle y = f(t) = log_{10}^{(t - 5)},\)

\(\displaystyle 10^{y} = 10^{log_{10}^{(t - 5)}\)

\(\displaystyle 10^{y} = t - 5\)

\(\displaystyle t = 10^{y} + 5\)

See? Now if your log was in natural base e, than you would just take \(\displaystyle \L e^{log_e^{x}} = e^{ln(x)} = x\)

backgle1 said:
:oops: Hi, I only have a 10th grade education and in 1983 Algebra was a 12th grade requirement so I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

1. f(t)=log(t-5) I understand when 2 numbers are side by side you multiply them so I get f*t=log(t-5) and I remember hearing alway do the work in parenthesis first.

in here, f(t) does not mean f*t.

Here it means "function of t"

Please go to

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm

and review the begining algebra - otherwise it will be very hard for you to do these problems.

2. g(x)=1n(t+4) Stuck here same questions but I've always heard you do whats in parenthesis.

3. g(t)=5 squared.

I don't understand how you get the number the g x and t represent. Hope your able to help me a little. If not God bless you anyway