Newbie here. Help with figuring out amount of feet travelled by moving vehicle

jacquil

Hi All,

I really need help with these calculations:

The basis is the various feet travelled by a car moving at speeds of between 30-50kph. I have figured that part out as follows:

1. At 30kph, a car travels 27.34033 feet per second
2. At 40kph, a car travels 36.455375 feet per second
3. At 50kph, a car travels 45.56722 feet per second
4. At 61kph, a car travels 27.34033 feet per second

Given the above parameters, I need to know how many feet per second was covered at each speed if the car travelled 393 feet. I really appreciate any and all help with this. Thanks! (also if I have the travel rates wrong, please feel free to correct me)

… a car moving at speeds of between 30-50kph

… At 30kph, a car travels [27.3403] feet per second

… At 40kph, a car travels [36.4554] feet per second

… At 50kph, a car travels [45.5672] feet per second

… At 61kph, a car travels [27.3403] feet per second
I rounded all of your results to the same number of decimal places (4). The digits highlighted in red are not correct.

You began talking about speeds from 30kph through 50kph, so I'm wondering whether the 61kph is a typographical error. Regardless, it appears that you accidentally repeated the 30kph conversion.

Given the above parameters, I need to know how many feet per second was covered at each speed if the car travelled 393 feet.
I do not understand this task. Your list above already shows how many feet the car moves each second. If a car moves at 27.3fps, for example, then it moves 27.3 feet each second for as long as it's moving at that speed. The total distance covered (or total time elapsed) does not affect the speed, unless we're missing some information.

Please post the original exercise statement, exactly as you received it. Thank you. :cool:

Last edited:
I rounded all of your results to the same number of decimal places (4). The digits highlighted in red are not correct.

You began talking about speeds from 30kph through 50kph, so I'm wondering whether the 61kph is a typographical error. Regardless, it appears that you accidentally repeated the 30kph conversion.

I do not understand this task. Your list above already shows how many feet the car moves each second. If a car moves at 27.3fps, for example, then it moves 27.3 feet each second for as long as it's moving at that speed. The total distance covered (or total time elapsed) does not affect the speed, unless we're missing some information.

Please post the original exercise statement, exactly as you received it. Thank you. :cool:

Hi, thanks for your response.

The speed for a car travelling 61 kph travels at 55.59201 feet per second.

So what I am trying to figure out is how many seconds will each of these speeds take to travel 393 feet.

Thanks again.

Sorry, the correct speed for a car travelling 61 kph is 55.59201 feet per second. The "61" is not a typo.

Its hard to explain what I need but I can best explain it by wanting to know the amount of seconds it would take for each of the speeds mentioned in my original post to travel 393 feet. I hope that clarifies.

Sorry, the correct speed for a car travelling 61 kph is [55.5920] feet per second.
That is correct.

… amount of seconds it would take for [a vehicle traveling at] each of the speeds … to travel 393 feet. I hope that clarifies.
Yes, this is a different question than what you originally asked, and this one makes sense.

Here's the relationship between distance traveled (D), rate of travel (R), and elapsed time (T):

D = R*T

Dividing each side by T, we get:

R = D/T

and dividing each side by R, we get:

T = D/R

In order, here's what these three equations tell us:

If you know the rate and time, you multiply them to get the distance.

If you know the distance and time, you divide to get the rate.

If you know the distance and rate, you divide to get the time.

Can you see which equation to use for answering your question? :cool: