Not a subspace of the complex numbers?

diogomgf

Why isn't the set [MATH]F = \left \{ \begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ -\bar{b} & \bar{a}\end{bmatrix}: \space a,b \in \mathbb{C} \right \}[/MATH] a subspace of [MATH]M_{2\times 2}(\mathbb{C})[/MATH], if [MATH]M_{2\times 2}(\mathbb{C})[/MATH] is a vector space over [MATH]\mathbb{C}[/MATH]?

The matrix has weird formatting. The element with index 2,1 is [MATH]- \bar{b}.[/MATH]

Can you show, using the definition of a vector space, that F is a subspace of M2x2(C)?

We will go from there.

BTW, on my screen I see three bars. One of which is not over anything. Can you please state the 4 elements in a clearer fashion. Thanks.

Can you show, using the definition of a vector space, that F is a subspace of M2x2(C)?

We will go from there.

Meanwhile I think I understood why it is not a subspace.
If it was a subspace, we could have [MATH]\forall \alpha \in \mathbb{C}; \space \alpha \boxdot F_{1} \in F[/MATH] Where [MATH]F_{1} \in F[/MATH].
[MATH]a=\alpha+\beta i; \space \bar{a}=\alpha - \beta i[/MATH] .
So [MATH] i \cdot a=-\beta + \alpha i; \space i\cdot \bar{a}=\beta + \alpha i[/MATH] .
This shows that if we multiply any matrix in [MATH]F[/MATH] by [MATH]i[/MATH] we obtain a matrix that is not in [MATH]F[/MATH].

Last edited:
bar = '
I thought that if A = r + si, then A' = r-si. You have the equivalent of A' = -r+si in your work.

a=α+βi; ¯a=α−βi . Perfect
So i⋅a=−β+αi; i⋅¯a=β+αi . 2nd equation is wrong (same mistake as before.

a=α+βi; ¯a=α−βi . Perfect
So i⋅a=−β+αi; i⋅¯a=β+αi . 2nd equation is wrong (same mistake as before.
[MATH]ia = i(\alpha + \beta i) = \alpha i + \beta i^{2} = \alpha i - \beta[/MATH] i think its the same...

[MATH]ia = i(\alpha + \beta i) = \alpha i + \beta i^{2} = \alpha i - \beta[/MATH] i think its the same...
Yes, it is correct. The problem is that is the 1st equation you wrote on that line. I suggested that the 2nd equation is not correct.

Yes, it is correct. The problem is that is the 1st equation you wrote on that line. I suggested that the 2nd equation is not correct.
[MATH]i \bar{a} = i(\alpha - \beta i) = \alpha i - \beta i^{2} = \alpha i + \beta[/MATH] its the same as I have...

I have stayed away form this thread because I think all who have given replies are not fully acquainted with the notation of complex numbers.
The complex numbers form a vector space over the field of ordered paired of real numbers.
At the most fundamental the complex numbers is simply an enlargement of the real numbers by one element \({\bf{\mathcal{i}}}~\).
The new number \({\bf{\mathcal{i}}}~\) is the solution of the equation \(x^2+1=0\) Well of course so is \({\bf{\mathcal{-i}}}~\).
We are accustomed to thinking that saying \(z=a+b{\bf{\mathcal{i}}}~\) implies that \(a~\&~b\) are real numbers.
Now here is a standard exercise in any undergraduate course in complex analysis. PROVE
1) \(\overline{z+w}=\overline{z}+\overline{w}\)
2) \(\overline{z\cdot w}=\overline{z}\cdot\overline{w}\)
3)\( \overline{\left(\dfrac{z}{w}\right)}=\dfrac{\overline{z}}{\overline{w}}\)

Now the posted question does not appear to conform to any standard format.
Please correct me if otherwise.

Now the posted question does not appear to conform to any standard format.
Please correct me if otherwise.
I think you may be missing the nature of the problem because the title is wrong.

The title says, "Not a subspace of the complex numbers?"

The problem should be described as, "Not a subspace of the space of 2x2 matrices over the complex numbers?"

I think post #4 gives a good answer: multiplying a matrix of that form by i yields a matrix not of that form.

The question is not about the complex numbers as a vector space over the real numbers, but about the vector space of 2x2 matrices over the complex numbers.

I think you may be missing the nature of the problem because the title is wrong.

The title says, "Not a subspace of the complex numbers?"

The problem should be described as, "Not a subspace of the space of 2x2 matrices over the complex numbers?"

I think post #4 gives a good answer: multiplying a matrix of that form by i yields a matrix not of that form.

The question is not about the complex numbers as a vector space over the real numbers, but about the vector space of 2x2 matrices over the complex numbers.
You are right...