Not sure if I'm solving this right

CoreyyV

To the question
You are driving 20 miles. If f(x) is the number of minutes your trip takes when you drive x miles per hour, then f′(x) =−1200/x2. If you drive 20 miles per hour, your trip takes 60 minutes. Use the formula: f(a+h)≈f(a) +h·f′(a) to estimate how long your trip would take if you drive 23 miles per hour.

When I used the formula, I got:
f(23)≈ 60 + 3 - (1200/20^2) = 51

I was wondering if I was correct in using 20 for x in f'(x) and have the correct answer to the problem or not?

To the question
You are driving 20 miles. If f(x) is the number of minutes your trip takes when you drive x miles per hour, then f′(x) =−1200/x2. If you drive 20 miles per hour, your trip takes 60 minutes. Use the formula: f(a+h)≈f(a) +h·f′(a) to estimate how long your trip would take if you drive 23 miles per hour.

When I used the formula, I got:
f(23)≈ 60 + 3 - (1200/20^2) = 51

I was wondering if I was correct in using 20 for x in f'(x) and have the correct answer to the problem or not?
You appear to have changed the multiplication (dot) to subtraction, by putting the negative sign outside the parentheses; but I think that's a typo, since you actually did the multiplication.

And that is correct. You are making an approximation taking a = 20 and h = 3. (Writing that down first helps in being sure of yourself.)

f(a+h) ≈ f(a) +h·f′(a), so f(20+3) ≈ f(20) + 3·f′(20) = 60 + 3(-1200/20^2) =60 + 3 (-3) = 51​

Of course, now you can calculate the exact value (using the actual formula for f(x)) and compare. It's fairly close.