Numerically approximating critical points of a multivariable function

burt

I was given the following question: Numerically approximate all critical points of the function \(f(x,y)=2y(x+2)-x^2+y^4-9y^2\).
I cannot figure out how to do this. I tried using a CAS calculator, but ended up with an error.
I know that the critical points are when either partial derivative is undefined or when both partial derivatives are equal to zero. I just cannot figure out how to get those numbers with this function.
I tried graphing it on a handheld ti-nspire cx ii cas and it didn't come up. I tried graphing it on geogebra and got something very weird looking (attached). Can anyone guide me on how to proceed?
1586141796172.png

The partial derivatives are so easy here there would be no reason to try a "numerical" derivative method. \(\displaystyle f_x= 2y- 2x= 0\) and \(\displaystyle f_y= 2x+ 4+ 4y^3= 0\). From 2y- 2x= 0, y= x so 2x+ 4+ 4y^3= 4x^3+ 2x+ 4= 0. Use a numerical method to solve that cubic equation. Using "Desmos Graphing Calculator", https://www.desmos.com/calculator, I get approximately x= -0.835

The partial derivatives are so easy here there would be no reason to try a "numerical" derivative method. \(\displaystyle f_x= 2y- 2x= 0\) and \(\displaystyle f_y= 2x+ 4+ 4y^3= 0\). From 2y- 2x= 0, y= x so 2x+ 4+ 4y^3= 4x^3+ 2x+ 4= 0. Use a numerical method to solve that cubic equation. Using "Desmos Graphing Calculator", https://www.desmos.com/calculator, I get approximately x= -0.835
I think you missed a -18y.
Does that change the way to solve it?

Of course it does as the two equations are now different. So what progressed have you made? Can we see your work so we know what hints to give you?

Of course it does as the two equations are now different. So what progressed have you made? Can we see your work so we know what hints to give you?
I think I solved it!
I just found the partial derivatives, set them equal to zero, and used the second derivative test to find the answer.