operations with functions

raven2k7

Hi its a math problem. i cant remember the rules for adding , subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions with roots . for example ,f(x) the square root of x+1 added to f (g) 2/the square root of x+1 . the answer was x+3 over the square root of x+1 but i dont know how they obtained this. the rules etc. thank you

p.s. i would like to know what topic to study concerning the rules of adding , multiplying , dividing root fractions. thank you

i cant remember the rules for adding , subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions with roots . for example ,f(x) the square root of x+1 added to f (g) 2/the square root of x+1 . the answer was x+3 over the square root of x+1 but i dont know how they obtained this. the rules etc. thank you
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying here...? Are you saying that you're needing to add, subtract, etc, functional statements? Or something else? What was the original exercise?

p.s. i would like to know what topic to study concerning the rules of adding , multiplying , dividing root fractions.
By "root fractions", do you mean "fractions which contain square roots in their denominators"? If so, then this topic will involve pre-algebra or beginning algebra. It has nothing to do with calculus.

I think what you mean to say is this:

Given f(x) = sqrt(x+1) and g(x) = 2/sqrt(x+1), find (f+g)(x).​

Is that correct?

Then you want to simplify sqrt(x+1) + 2/sqrt(x+1). One way to start is to rewrite the first term, sqrt(x+1)/1, using sqrt(x+1) as a common denominator.

Give that a try, and show your work as far as you can get. Note how I wrote the expressions; there is more on how to write math here, which is mentioned in our posting guidelines.

For general information about working with such expressions, you might look here.