Optimization

holmdeal

For positive constants A and B, the force between the two atoms in a molecule is given by

holmdeal-Untitled.jpg

Where r>0 is the distance between the two values. What value of r minimizes the force between the atoms?

YOU need to show us what you have done on this!
We can see if you have a mistake.
If so, we will help you through it.

For the record, there is no such thing as a formula for the "force between the two atoms in a molecule".

Sorry, but I'm a chemist and we are a sensitive folk.

This was a problem from a math lesson I have to do and have no clue what to do. I figured that since it is optimization for f(r), I'd need to find the derivative and set it to zero, but...?

"I figured that since it is optimization for f(r), I'd need to find the derivative and set it to zero,"
Well do that! Do something!
This is no a homework service!

For optimization to work I need another equation so to eliminate the third variable, this is where I need help, as I've found that

2A-3Br=0

where do I look for another equation????

I was trying to solve for a value for r, when it was supposed to be in terms of A and B.

Got it now

See, Pka is a great tutor. He doesn't provide fully worked solutions. He may be stern at times, but it's a great approach. Personally, fully worked solutions should never ever be provided.

Instead, simple hints to get the student going could be supplied. I strongly oppose ANYONE providing fully worked solutions. You're doing the student a great injustice.

holmdeal said:
For positive constants A and B, the force between the two atoms in a molecule is given by f(r) = A/r<sup>2</sup> + B/r<sup>3</sup>, where r > 0 is the distance between the two values. What value of r minimizes the force between the atoms?

I figured that since it is optimization for f(r), I'd need to find the derivative and set it to zero, but...I then get (2A-3Br)/r^3=0, but from there I have no idea what to do
How did you get "df/dr = (2A - 3Br)/r<sup>3</sup>" for your derivative?

Please reply showing your steps. Thank you.

Eliz.

Write as f(r) = -Ar<sup>-2</sup> + Br<sup>-3</sup> if you haven't already.