Order of fractions

Anwer

My kido is requested to order the following four values from smallest to biggest:

5 3/4
5 2/5
5 1/2

As you can see, one of the values is a decimal (5.45). When I try to convert it to a fraction (it's easier to compare only fractions or only decimals), I get 5 9/20, which can't be comparable with the other values. I have the answer but I don't know the right way to approach this problem. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Best, Anwar

My kido is requested to order the following four values from smallest to biggest:

5 3/4
5 2/5
5 1/2

As you can see, one of the values is a decimal (5.45). When I try to convert it to a fraction (it's easier to compare only fractions or only decimals), I get 5 9/20, which can't be comparable with the other values. I have the answer but I don't know the right way to approach this problem. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Best, Anwar
You can convert the other fractions to all use 20 as their denominator. In that sense, all fractions are compatible!

Alternatively, you could convert them all to decimals.

You can convert the other fractions to all use 20 as their denominator. In that sense, all fractions are compatible!

Alternatively, you could convert them all to decimals.
Thank you so much for the tips and swift reply. You're super!

5 3/4
5 2/5
5 1/2

Best, Anwar
A student should know that 3/4 = .75 (think of quarters as a coin), 1/2 = .50, 2/5 = 4/10 = .40

So 5 3/4 = 5.75, 5 2/5 = 5.4, 5.45 = 5.45 and 5 1/2 = 5.50.

It is true that you can covert all the numbers to decimals or to fraction. However, converting to decimals-in this problem-is the easiest way. Besides, one should know the decimal representation for those fractions.