other word(s) for satisfy

shahar

I want to write some sentence in English that use the word satisfy by another words, likes in the sentence:
Wiles proof satisfies the last fermat theorem.
Can I replace in another word (And if the sentence is O.K?)?
Other use:
for n = 2 satisfies the equation n^2 = 4.
Can I use another words for satisfy for the sentence in bold?

Last edited:
I want to write some sentence in English that use the word satisfy by another words, likes in the sentence:
Wiles proof satisfies the last fermat theorem.
Other use:
for n = 2 satisfies the equation n^2 = 4.

Wiles proof satisfy the last fermat theorem.
The original sentence is not O.K. I would never say a proof satisfies a theorem. Where did you read this? I might say it proves, or confirms, or something like that.

for n = 2 satisfy the equation n^2 = 4.
Here "satisfy" means "makes the equation true"; it could also be called a solution.

But we use the word "satisfies" because no other single word quite says the same thing. (Figuratively, we are "fulfilling the needs of" an equation or inequality, making it "happy" and "satisfied".) In my mind, "solves" doesn't really work, because solving generally means finding all values that make some logical statement true, and "satisfy" refers only to some specified data.

We can also speak of some facts satisfying a theorem, or specifically the conditions of a theorem, so that the theorem applies.

The original sentence is not O.K. I would never say a proof satisfies a theorem. Where did you read this? I might say it proves, or confirms, or something like that.

Here "satisfy" means "makes the equation true"; it could also be called a solution.

But we use the word "satisfies" because no other single word quite says the same thing. (Figuratively, we are "fulfilling the needs of" an equation or inequality, making it "happy" and "satisfied".) In my mind, "solves" doesn't really work, because solving generally means finding all values that make some logical statement true, and "satisfy" refers only to some specified data.

We can also speak of some facts satisfying a theorem, or specifically the conditions of a theorem, so that the theorem applies.
Thanks. The bold sentences is mine, not from a source.