outcomes of coin tossing

rejoice

I am confused in determining the all possible outcome of coin tossing. all possible outcome of tossing three coin is given by 2^3. My confusion is why cannot it be considered it as a bag consisting of 6 balls T1, H1 (Coin 1 or trial 1); T2, H2 (Coin2 or trial 2); T3, H3 (Coin3 or trial 3) where T & H are the heads and tails side of the coin. Now from this bag all the possible combinations of three balls is given by combination formula which will be 20 such combinations. What is that am missing between both the experiment. Any help would be grateful.

There are several big differences between the two models. One is that you can select balls H1 and T1 together, but you can't toss both heads and tails with the same coin.

If you're unsure, try listing those 20 combinations you found, and compare them to coin tosses.

Can the scenario be considered as three bags with two color balls each, and one ball needs to be picked each time from each of the ball. So how do i get total number of all combination, is there any formula for it. CAse 2 is flipping the three coins and writing down all the combinations. Is there a formula to get the numbers of outcomes, without writing down the all the combination indiviaually.

please refer the attached image, the image is not drawn neatly pardon me

Attachments

• Prob case.png
    Prob case.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
There are 2 possibilities for the first coin (or bag); 2 for the second; and 2 for the third. The total number of possible outcomes is therefore 2*2*2 = 2^3 = 8.

There are 2 possibilities for the first coin (or bag); 2 for the second; and 2 for the third. The total number of possible outcomes is therefore 2*2*2 = 2^3 = 8.

thanks you Dr Peterson, this made sense to me :)