P(A u B) =0.5 and P(A u (B^c))=0.6. A and B are independent. Find p(A).

crybloodwing

So I already did this question but without the condition that A and B are independent. In this, p(A)=.1.

I know if A and B are independent, then p(A and B) = p(A)p(B).

Therefore, p(A u B)= p(A)+p(B)-p(A)p(B).
So, 0.5 = p(A)+p(B)-p(A)p(B).

I have tried multiple ways to figure out what p(A) is, but I am unable to figure out what the p(B) is, which I think I need to solve this. I have tried drawing pictures also. I know that the complement of p(A u (B^c)) is .4, which I got from 1-p(A u (B^c)).

Can you please show us at least one of you multiple attempts at solving this problem so we can guide you to the correct solution?

So I already did this question but without the condition that A and B are independent. In this, p(A)=.1. I know if A and B are independent, then p(A and B) = p(A)p(B). Therefore, p(A u B)= p(A)+p(B)-p(A)p(B). So, 0.5 = p(A)+p(B)-p(A)p(B). I have tried multiple ways to figure out what p(A) is, but I am unable to figure out what the p(B) is, which I think I need to solve this. I have tried drawing pictures also. I know that the complement of p(A u (B^c)) is .4, which I got from 1-p(A u (B^c)).
vennn2.png
First I agree that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A)=0.1\). If we look at the above: because \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cup B)=0.5\) The complement (see diagram 1) is also \(\displaystyle 0.5\). Look at this link. \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cap B^c)=0.4\) and \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cup B)=0.5\) from the above it is clear that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A)=0.1\).
Now as to your comment about the independence of \(\displaystyle A~\&~B\). I wonder if this is just part of a larger question?
This is the case: if \(\displaystyle A~\&~B\) are independent then so are \(\displaystyle A~\&~B^c\) as are \(\displaystyle A^c~\&~B\) as well as \(\displaystyle A^c~\&~B^c\). If you have not proven that for yourself it is a very informative excise.

As pka has implied, you don't need the condition of independence for this part of the problem, so that may be there for a subsequent part. (Adding a condition wouldn't change the answer, except possibly to make it invalid.)

But it is possible, knowing A and B are independent, to find P(B), which I expect them to ask eventually. You may need a little algebra. Suppose that P(B) = x. What equation can you write, using independence?

As pka has implied, you don't need the condition of independence for this part of the problem, so that may be there for a subsequent part. (Adding a condition wouldn't change the answer, except possibly to make it invalid.)

But it is possible, knowing A and B are independent, to find P(B), which I expect them to ask eventually. You may need a little algebra. Suppose that P(B) = x. What equation can you write, using independence?

Would you suggest doing like a system of equations? Also, it was 2 questions only, nothing after this.

1. Given P(A u B) =0.5 and P(A u (B^c))=0.6. Find P(A).

This was simple and P(A) was 0.1.

2. Given P(A u B) =0.5 and P(A u (B^c))=0.6. A and B are independent. Find P(A).

Nothing after that.

View attachment 14196
First I agree that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A)=0.1\). If we look at the above: because \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cup B)=0.5\) The complement (see diagram 1) is also \(\displaystyle 0.5\). Look at this link. \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cap B^c)=0.4\) and \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cup B)=0.5\) from the above it is clear that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A)=0.1\).
Now as to your comment about the independence of \(\displaystyle A~\&~B\). I wonder if this is just part of a larger question?
This is the case: if \(\displaystyle A~\&~B\) are independent then so are \(\displaystyle A~\&~B^c\) as are \(\displaystyle A^c~\&~B\) as well as \(\displaystyle A^c~\&~B^c\). If you have not proven that for yourself it is a very informative excise.

2. Given P(A u B) =0.5 and P(A u (B^c))=0.6. A and B are independent. Find P(A).

Nothing after that.

I knew the independence of all of the things you mentioned and did try to use that to find P(B) or P(A) but could not come up with anything.

Would you suggest doing like a system of equations? Also, it was 2 questions only, nothing after this.
Nothing after that.
I will use the older Moore notation: \(\displaystyle AB\) is \(\displaystyle A\cap B\) and \(\displaystyle B'\) is the complement of \(\displaystyle B\)
\(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cup B)=\mathcal{P}(A)+\mathcal{P}( B)-\mathcal{P}(A)\mathcal{P}( B)=0.5\)
\(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cup B')=\mathcal{P}(A)+\mathcal{P}( B')-\mathcal{P}(A)\mathcal{P}( B')=0.6\)
\(\displaystyle 2\mathcal{P}(A)+\mathcal{P}( B)+\mathcal{P}( B')-\mathcal{P}(A)(\mathcal{P}( B)+\mathcal{P}( B'))=1.1\)
\(\displaystyle 2\mathcal{P}(A)+1-\mathcal{P}(A)(1)=1.1\)
\(\displaystyle 2\mathcal{P}(A)-\mathcal{P}(A)(1)=0.1\)
\(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A)=0.1\)

Can you please show us at least one of you multiple attempts at solving this problem so we can guide you to the correct solution?

I tried messing around with these equations and combining them in different ways. Letting x be the section of A that excludes the intersection of A and B.

0.5=P(A)+P(B)-P(A)P(B)
x= P(A)-P(A)P(B)
0.5= P(B)+x
P(A|B)=P(A)
P(A intersection B)/P(B) = P(A)
P(B)=.4+P(A)P(B)

I tried messing around with these equations and combining them in different ways. Letting x be the section of A that excludes the intersection of A and B.
0.5=P(A)+P(B)-P(A)P(B)
x= P(A)-P(A)P(B)
0.5= P(B)+x
P(A|B)=P(A)
P(A intersection B)/P(B) = P(A)
P(B)=.4+P(A)P(B)
Have you gone through carefully reply #7. That proves that \(\displaystyle \bf{\mathcal{P}(A)=0.1}\).
Moreover, \(\displaystyle \bf{\mathcal{P}(A'B)=0.4}\) so that means \(\displaystyle {\mathcal{P}(A\cup B)=\mathcal{P}(A)+\mathcal{P}(A'B)=0.5}\)

Yes, pka showed you all the work. Is there anything that you did not understand?