Pandemic

Sqwarecut

Due to a pandemic, everyone has to stand at least 6 feet apart. If 800 people will attend a dance, what is the minimum size of a room in square feet that could meet this restriction?

Tough question, not because it's a difficult packing problem, but because it's a logistical nightmare. Will the people just be transported to their designated locations?

Tough question, not because it's a difficult packing problem, but because it's a logistical nightmare. Will the people just be transported to their designated locations?
Assume like on Star Trek people are beamed into place. I’m thinking you would calculate it using people at the center of squares of 3ft. X 3ft. But a final few would only need to be rectangles of 3 x 1.5 ft. If people entered one at a time, would it even be possible to do given the paths that people would have to be take to meet the restriction?

Try circles. Lot's less wasted space. Are you counting wall flowers as requiring only half a space?

I always get more cookies in the oven thinking about circles, rather than squares.

Does the room have to be rectangular?

Can the people form a triangular array, which is typically best for packing?

Can any be at the walls, or do they all have to have the same amount of space around them?

But then, how much motion is allowed in order to call it a dance? If they're as close as possible standing with their arms at their sides, what are they supposed to do?

All good questions. This is why you’re a doctor, and I’m someone who thought plane geometry was a person with a strange kind of identity crisis who dressed plainly and was named Jane. That being said. First we need to define what constitutes a room. Does it need walls at all? Can an open-sided event-tent be considered a room? Does the dance take place in Brobdingnab or at a convention of dwarves? If it takes place in a lamasery does meditating about dancing only create the idea reality of dancing ? I assume all “dirty dancing,” no matter the speed doesn't necessarily violate the restriction. The triangle idea is diabolical. Well played, Dr. Peterson, well played. Celtic step dancing stomps viruses to death, so it doesn’t count.

Last edited: