Partial derivative problem

hajfajv

Hello
I have this problem and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-095834_OneNote.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-095834_OneNote.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 12
What exactly is [imath]EL_xf(x)[/imath]?
[imath]EL_xf(x)[/imath] is the notation for elasticity, the instantaneous rate of change in percent per percent on a logarithmic scale. A common example is the price elasticity, the change in consumption of a product with respect to the change in price.
In general, it's defined as:
[math]EL_xf(x)= \frac{d\ln(f(x))}{d(\ln(x))}[/math]and of course [imath]x, f(x) >0[/imath].

Last edited:
[imath]EL_xf(x)[/imath] is the notation for elasticity, the instantaneous rate of change in percent per percent on a logarithmic scale. A common example is the price elasticity, the change in consumption of a product with respect to the change in price.
[math]EL_xf(x)= \frac{d\ln(f(x))}{d(\ln(x))}[/math]and of course [imath]x, f(x) >0[/imath].
Learned something new here. I am trained in "mechanics". There Elasticity has a different - but strangely similar meaning. Those letters (E, Lx, etc.) is different.

Context is so important.......

Economists frequently use a horrible notation, for example, [imath]MC(q) = \dfrac{dc}{dq}[/imath].

One reason for that is that they tend to be careless of domain and existence issues while making an assumption that is always empirically wrong and sometimes vitiating, namely that their functions are continuous and differentiable in quadrant I.

Oh, I left out the most important assumption: virtually all partials are zero, the assumption of ceteris paribus.

Learned something new here. I am trained in "mechanics". There Elasticity has a different - but strangely similar meaning. Those letters (E, Lx, etc.) is different.

Context is so important.......
In terms of something empirically observable, price elasticity is

[math]\dfrac{\Delta q}{q} \div \dfrac{\Delta p}{p}.[/math]

In terms of something empirically observable, price elasticity is

[math]\dfrac{\Delta q}{q} \div \dfrac{\Delta p}{p}.[/math]
I assume p is price. What is q - is it quantity?

haha this got out of hand :)

Could someone tell me why I get 2/y^5 book says it supposed to be just 2

Do you know everything?

Look at this again. [imath]z = x^2 y^5[/imath]. What is [imath]\dfrac{ \partial }{ \partial x} z[/imath]?

-Dan
My bad I was remembering how I did the previous problem wrong, assuming all none x = 0 even if it was multiplied to an x