Patterns and equations help please!

lillybeth

OK. I just started learning inputs and outputs and stuff like that today, and i'm really confused on these two questions. Please show me how to do the problems. :confused:

Which of the following sets of ordered pairs is not a function?

a). {(0, 2), (1, 4), (2, 5), (3, 6)}
b). {(-1, 2), (1, 3), (1, 5), (-3, 4)}
c). {(-4, 3), (-1, 1), (-2, 5), (3, 7)}

and

What are the inputs of the following function?
{(-3, 2), (-4, 2), (8, 3), 7, 1)}

Thanks for all the help guys!

OK. I just started learning inputs and outputs and stuff like that today, and i'm really confused on these two questions. Please show me how to do the problems. :confused:

Go back and review the definitions. What is the definition of "function"?

and

Go back and review the definitions. What is the definition of "function"?

The definition of a function: (Yes, I followed your advice and looked it up) A function is a set of mathmatical operations performed on one or more inputs (variables) that the result is an output.

Do you want any more definitions? :| I still can't see how this is helping me get the answer, but I'll look up a few more terms.

One property of function:

For each 'x' value there is only one 'y' value (translated from "exact math-speak")

so if the set is {(3,4), (3,7)} - then for x = 3 we have two y values [ 4 and 7]. Hence that set does not define a function.

This is sometimes called vertical-line test.

One property of function:

For each 'x' value there is only one 'y' value (translated from "exact math-speak")

so if the set is {(3,4), (3,7)} - then for x = 3 we have two y values [ 4 and 7]. Hence that set does not define a function.

This is sometimes called vertical-line test.

I'm all of the sudden really confused... I get that {(3,4), (3,7)} is a function. You know, the deeper this thread gets the more confused I get. Maybe I should just ask my teacher to go over this with me again? :confused:

I'm all of the sudden really confused... I get that {(3,4), (3,7)} is a function. You know, the deeper this thread gets the more confused I get. Maybe I should just ask my teacher to go over this with me again? :confused:
Where do you get that (3,4) and (3,7) is a function???

Where do you get that (3,4) and (3,7) is a function???

My teacher taught me this thing called the vertical line test, and that is where you draw a graph, and lable out the points in a function or nonfunction. If the points meet going up or down in the same column, than it is not a function. That was how I got my answer. Please show me what I did wrong so I can correct it next time!:(

My teacher taught me this thing called the vertical line test, and that is where you draw a graph, and lable out the points in a function or nonfunction. If the points meet going up or down in the same column, than it is not a function. That was how I got my answer. Please show me what I did wrong so I can correct it next time!:(

OK, I am throughly confused now. Yesterday I explained the vertical line test to you and you seemed to understand it. Now you are saying that (3,4) and (3,7) does NOT fail the vertical line test thus it's a function?? I beg to differ. As S Khan already mentioned these two points do NOT make a function. Plot them then connect them. It's a VERTICAL LINE, so the vertical line test FAILS!

ok.

OK, I am throughly confused now. Yesterday I explained the vertical line test to you and you seemed to understand it. Now you are saying that (3,4) and (3,7) does NOT fail the vertical line test thus it's a function?? I beg to differ. As S Khan already mentioned these two points do NOT make a function. Plot them then connect them. It's a VERTICAL LINE, so the vertical line test FAILS!
ok. I see now. But can we get back to my math problem instead of S Khan's? Nevermind. I already have the answer. No.

The definition of a function: (Yes, I followed your advice and looked it up) A function is a set of mathmatical operations performed on one or more inputs (variables) that the result is an output.

Do you want any more definitions? :| I still can't see how this is helping me get the answer, but I'll look up a few more terms.
If the input is 3 and the result is sometimes 5 and sometimes 7, it is NOT a function. The output must be a perfectly defined one.

I think you are mixing up GRAPHING and a table.

\(\displaystyle x\ \ y\)
\(\displaystyle 1\ \ 8\)
\(\displaystyle 3\ \ 5\)
\(\displaystyle 3\ \ 7\)
\(\displaystyle 5\ \ 0\)

You can't use the vertical line test on a table. You use it on a GRAPH. If you do, you will find that the points (3, 5) and (3, 7) form a vertical line and so THIS IS NOT A FUNCTION.

You can determine from a table whether it is a function or not. If even one input does not have a distinct output, it is NOT a function. If any input appears more than once and does not have the same output EVERY TIME, it is NOT a function. Otherwise it IS a function.

reply to JeffM

If the input is 3 and the result is sometimes 5 and sometimes 7, it is NOT a function. The output must be a perfectly defined one.

I think you are mixing up GRAPHING and a table.

\(\displaystyle x\ \ y\)
\(\displaystyle 1\ \ 8\)
\(\displaystyle 3\ \ 5\)
\(\displaystyle 3\ \ 7\)
\(\displaystyle 5\ \ 0\)

You can't use the vertical line test on a table. You use it on a GRAPH. If you do, you will find that the points (3, 5) and (3, 7) form a vertical line and so THIS IS NOT A FUNCTION.

You can determine from a table whether it is a function or not. If even one input does not have a distinct output, it is NOT a function. If any input appears more than once and does not have the same output EVERY TIME, it is NOT a function. Otherwise it IS a function.
OK. Thankyou Jeff, I see it better now.

and

If you are saying that sets a), b) and c) - all describe functions - you are incorrect.

In each of those sets individually, do you see repeated input (x) ?

If you do - most probably it will fail vertical line test.

If you are saying that sets a), b) and c) - all describe functions - you are incorrect.

In each of those sets individually, do you see repeated input (x) ?

If you do - most probably it will fail vertical line test.

thats not what i ment!!! I know the answer because it was already graded:
question number 1: b is not a function
i will tell you what the next one was in a sec.

answer to question number 2: {-4, -3, 7, 8}

Thanks for the help guys, but i think this thread is closed.

Last edited:
answer to question number 2: {-4, -3, 7, 8}

That looks correct.

Your course should eventually teach you the name for this set of numbers. It's called the function's domain.

i think this thread is closed.

This thread is still open. You may determine whether a thread is closed by looking at the [Reply to Thread] button.

When a thread is closed, the name of that button changes to [Closed Thread].

Hint: If you limit your threads to discussing one exercise each, the discussions will be easier to follow. This is why the posting guidelines state: "PLEASE begin new threads for different exercises."

Cheers :cool:

Last edited:
reply to mmm4444bot

This thread is still open. You may determine whether a thread is closed by looking at the [Reply to Thread] button.

When a thread is closed, the name of that button changes to [Closed Thread].

What I meant by saying the thread was closed was that i didn't need any more help. But thanks anyway, I didn't know the name of the button changed when a thread was closed. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys, I really apreciate it! :)