Percentage Owed

mayavadi

I'm trying to come up with an appropriate equation for the following information so I can systematically figure out bills for a shared house:

There are 4 people living in a house who all divide utilities evenly every month. One month we added a 5th person who stayed for a prorated amount of time (1/2 the month). If the total for bills is $800 what does each person owe?

Looking for an algebraic equation. I have the answer but no formula.

Thank you!

I'm trying to come up with an appropriate equation for the following information so I can systematically figure out bills for a shared house:

There are 4 people living in a house who all divide utilities evenly every month. One month we added a 5th person who stayed for a prorated amount of time (1/2 the month). If the total for bills is $800 what does each person owe?

Looking for an algebraic equation. I have the answer but no formula.

Thank you!
I am assuming you want to charge 5th. person only half the amount (of what you would charge the other four persons).

Suppose instead of 4 persons living full month - you had 4\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) persons living full month!

How would you distribute the utility bill?

If the utility bill for the month is "A" then the utility bill for a half month is A/2. Divided amoung 5 people, each should pay (A/2)/5= A/10. For the other half month the four people living there should each pay (A/2)/4= A/8.