Percentages

parmensm

Hi I feel stupid asking but cannot recall. My question is this- what are the steps to find the percentage of increase where last year I paid $25 to get my yard mowed. Now I pay $40. How much of an increase is this please? Thank you.

Hi I feel stupid asking but cannot recall. My question is this- what are the steps to find the percentage of increase where last year I paid $25 to get my yard mowed. Now I pay $40. How much of an increase is this please? Thank you.
Oh that is hyper-inflation!!

For base of $25 the increase was $15.

For base of $100 the increase will be .......

Hi parmensm. There is also a percent-change formula. Changing from an Old value to a New value, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\text{New} \;–\; \text{Old}}{\text{Old}} = \text{Percent Change}\)

A positive result represents a percent increase, and a negative result represents a percent decrease.

EG: For the last two years, I've paid $2.99 per box of my favorite soup crackers. The price changed to $4.10 a month ago.

\(\displaystyle \frac{4.10 \;–\; 2.99}{2.99} = 0.3712\)

That result is the decimal form of the percent change (rounded off). To express the result using a percent sign, we multiply by 100%.

0.3712 × 100% = 37.12%

Despite inflation running between 8% and 9% in the United States over the past two months, the percent increase in my cracker cost is more than four times as high.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

Despite inflation running between 8% and 9% in the United States over the past two months, the percent increase in cracker cost is more than four times as high.
Apparently - so is mowing Lawn. I love the new idea of No-Mow-Lawns.