Perfect Square

JLU

How do I solve: Find the smallest whole number N such that 48 x N is a perfect square. I do not know how to solve.
Please advise process.

How do I solve: Find the smallest whole number N such that 48 x N is a perfect square. I do not know how to solve.
Please advise process.
Hint:

Write 48 in terms of "square" factors

Please advise process.

What do you get for the prime factorization of 48?

What additional factors are needed to make a perfect square?

Please advise process.

To get a perfect square is when a number is not in decimals. Something like 502. That'd be a perfect square at least in this question.
To get 48 x N to become a perfect square, I'm not an expert at this question but I'd recommend trial and error at least for the small fries.
Try 48 * 2, 48 * 3, 48 * 4. And so on until you get a number that is "Rational" when you square root it and it is not in decimals.

Example: 40 x N is a perfect square.
40 x 10 is 400. 400 is 20. The answer will be that N = 20 as it is a perfect square.

Note: I might've mis-interpreted the questions. If this is not a half-decent explanation then please let me know. But I hope this helps!

I don't think you have misunderstood the problem but certainly your suggestion of "guess and try" is not as good as using the prime factors of 48 as Subhotosh Kahn and Dr. Peterson had already suggested.

\(\displaystyle 48= 2^4(3)= (2^2)(2^2)(3)\). So what other factor is needed to make that a "perfect square"?