permutation or combination - please help!! (arrangements of summer concerts)

abcmathfan

so confused about this question. A singer is performing at 9 concerts close by this summer. John will attend at least one show. how many arrangements of concerts are available for John to attend assuming he will attend 3 shows.

So, on the one hand, I think combinations but then I think since the concerts are in a different place each night that order matters. Any thoughts?

so confused about this question. A singer is performing at 9 concerts close by this summer. John will attend at least one show. how many arrangements of concerts are available for John to attend assuming he will attend 3 shows.

So, on the one hand, I think combinations but then I think since the concerts are in a different place each night that order matters. Any thoughts?
Is there a difference between a concert and a show?

The question is about "arrangements", so it would seem that order matters, in some sense. But each concert/show is on a fixed date, so he can't change the order! All he can do is to choose which of the 9 he will go to.

I think the question is poorly phrased, as John has no input on the actual "arrangements".

Regardless of the venue or date you need to randomly pick 3 shows to attend. You can number the shows 1, 2, 3,...,9 and then pick 3 to attend. If you pick the 1st, 4th and 9th show to attend does the order really matter in how you chose these 3 shows?