Phase shift

fred2028

I understand that reading from the below equation
f(x) = asin[p(x-h)]+k
p is the cycles in 360 degrees (horizontal compressing factor) and h is the phase shift. However, in my circuits lecture/textbook, it claims that in
V(t) = Vcos(wt + theta)
theta is the phase shift. Shouldn't the phase shift be theta/w because in order to read the phase shift, doesn't the independent variable, t, have to have a coefficient of 1?

fred2028 said:
f(x) = asin[p(x-h)]+k
p is the cycles in 360 degrees (horizontal compressing factor) and h is the phase shift. However, in my circuits lecture/textbook, it claims that in
[quote:qadbynnr]V(t) = Vcos(wt + theta)
theta is the phase shift. Shouldn't the phase shift be theta/w because in order to read the phase shift, doesn't the independent variable, t, have to have a coefficient of 1?[/quote:qadbynnr]

Well, this is a matter of semantics.

The phase shift in electrical engineering (2nd. equation) is treated slightly differently than that from mathematics (first equation). The electrical engineering definition is suitable to complex (with i) analysis.

The mathematical description is suitable for wave analysis.

Just need to be careful about which one you are talking about.

Subhotosh Khan said:
fred2028 said:
f(x) = asin[p(x-h)]+k
[quote:3qa63ulw]V(t) = Vcos(wt + theta)
theta is the phase shift. Shouldn't the phase shift be theta/w because in order to read the phase shift, doesn't the independent variable, t, have to have a coefficient of 1?

Well, this is a matter of semantics.

The phase shift in electrical engineering (2nd. equation) is treated slightly differently than that from mathematics (first equation). The electrical engineering definition is suitable to complex (with i) analysis.

The mathematical description is suitable for wave analysis.

Just need to be careful about which one you are talking about.[/quote:3qa63ulw]
OK, but aren't they both meant to represent the same thing, i.e. the difference between the base sine or cosine graph and the current one?