3x + -1y +4z = 6

I want to find their intersection

1610772675847.png

I am using this formula: (A^t * A)^-1 * A^t * b

when solved the answer is:

x= 2.5
y= -.375
z= .5

my question is what does the answer tell me?

You should have enough intuition by now to know that two planes cannot intersect at a point.

If we add the two equations we get

[MATH]5x + 7z = 10\\ z = -\dfrac 5 7 x + \dfrac{10}{7}[/MATH]
And this is the equation of the line of intersection.

What you did looks like some sort of least squares fit. Where did you get that formula?

You should have enough intuition by now to know that two planes cannot intersect at a point.
thanks, yeah that is why I am asking the question

What you did looks like some sort of least squares fit. Where did you get that formula?
it's called "the normal equation". I got it on stackoverflow .com

If we add the two equations we get
thanks but I need to use matricies. I am going to be calculating a few million intersections and I won't be able to do division since it is way too slow.
can I do this with matrix? fractions are no good for what I am going to be doing

thanks

2x + 1y +3z = 4
3x + -1y +4z = 6

[math]\begin{equation} \begin{matrix} 2 & 1 & 3 & | & 4 \\ 3 & {-1} & 4 & | & 6 \\ \end{matrix} \end{equation}[/math]
You can add the two rows, if that is what you want.
You need to understand that whatever you can do with the equations you can do with matrices.

2x + 1y +3z = 4
3x + -1y +4z = 6

[math]\begin{equation} \begin{matrix} 2 & 1 & 3 & | & 4 \\ 3 & {-1} & 4 & | & 6 \\ \end{matrix} \end{equation}[/math]
You can add the two rows, if that is what you want.
You need to understand that whatever you can do with the equations you can do with matrices.
thanks