Please help. Function table and I only have the X value

aspenxcarter

I need to find the Y values of this function table. The x values are in order -6, -3, 0, 3. The function I have been given is. 4x+3y=9. I also need to evaluate F as well as find the y-intercept. Please help!!!

I need to find the Y values of this function table. The x values are in order -6, -3, 0, 3. The function I have been given is. 4x+3y=9. I also need to evaluate F as well as find the y-intercept. Please help!!!
Can you calculate the value of 'y' when x = 1

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Frankly this makes no sense. You say you need to evaluate F but there NO "F" in what you wrote. Do you mean that you want to evaluate y at x= -6. -3, 0, and 3? If so then you need to solve the equations 4(-6)+ 3y= 9 or 3y= 33, 4(-3)+ 3y= 9 or 3y= 21, 4(0)+ 3y= 9 or 3y= 9, and 4(3)+ 3y= 9 or 3y= -3. Those should be easy.

The "y-intercept" of any graph is where it crosses the y-axis and that is at x= 0.

This may be a problem where the helpers’ understanding gets in the way of explaining because they do not see why the student is confused. It is just so obvious to the helper.

First, it is traditional that we show a univariate function as y = f(x). (The letters are arbitrary. We could show it as p = h(q), but f, x, and y are traditional.) So y = f(x) is what you are used to. It is called the explicit form of a univariate function.

HOWEVER, it is not always convenient or simple to show a univariate function that way. An alternate way to show it is called the implicit form of a univariate function. That way looks like g(x, y) = some number. That is what we have here. In this case it is easy enough to turn it into the explicit form

[MATH]4x + 3y = 9 \implies 3y = 9 - 4x \implies y = 3 - \dfrac{4x}{3} \implies f(x) = 3 - \dfrac{4x}{3}.[/MATH]
Do you see that the implicit form uses only whole, positive numbers? In that sense, it is simple enough for a second grader to get it. But the explicit form in this case is still quite simple. A third grader can get it.

You are just being asked to work with a function presented a new way.

I would not say that it was the "helper's understanding" that is getting in the way but that it was the asker's failure to state the entire question. Yes, it may well be that, given 4x+ 3y= 9, the problem is asking about F(x)= y. But that y= F(x) should have been said!