Please Help! "Functions" Help, and I'll Be Your BFF!

elaynawitte00

Which of the following function notations corresponds to the equation below? y - 5.99x = -5 A. f(x) = 5.99x - 5 B. f(y) = 5y - 5.99 C. f(y) = 5.99y - 5 D. f(x) = 5x - 5.99

Last edited:
Which of the following function notations corresponds to the equation below? y - 5.99x = -5 A. f(x) = 5.99x - 5 B. f(y) = 5y - 5.99 C. f(y) = 5.99y - 5 D. f(x) = 5x - 5.99

One generally write y = f(x) when one wants to emphasize the dependence of y on x. So write your equation y - 5.99x = -5 A as
y = 5.99x - 5 A
What is the closest version of that in the list of choices?

WARNING: Beer soaked rambling/opinion/observation ahead. Read at your own risk. Not to be taken seriously. In no event shall Sir jonah in his inebriated state be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental, or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the use of his beer (and tequila) powered views.

Please Help! "Functions" Help, and I'll Be Your BFF!
Ah elayna, if that is your real first name, that is indeed a very tempting offer!
Does that come with a recent selfie?

Anyway, you only need to isolate y and your troubles are over.
Sir Ishuda must have a lot on his mind when he posted what he did.
I'm almost certain you meant to write the following:
Which of the following function notations corresponds to the equation below? y - 5.99x = -5
A. f(x) = 5.99x - 5
B. f(y) = 5y - 5.99
C. f(y) = 5.99y - 5
D. f(x) = 5x - 5.99

As you can see my dear BFF elayna, A is the clear choice.
Now don't you forget your promise!

Which of the following function notations corresponds to the equation below? y - 5.99x = -5
A. f(x) = 5.99x - 5
B. f(y) = 5y - 5.99
C. f(y) = 5.99y - 5
D. f(x) = 5x - 5.99

It must have really beer soaked, otherwise you would have seen that A. & C. are exactly the same function notation.
That is, both produce exactly the same set of ordered pairs. Functions are sets of ordered pairs.

WARNING: Beer soaked rambling/opinion/observation ahead. Read at your own risk. Not to be taken seriously. In no event shall Sir jonah in his inebriated state be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental, or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the use of his beer (and tequila) powered views.
So write your equation y - 5.99x = -5 A as
y = 5.99x - 5 A

Me beer soaked brain was under the impression that Sir Ishuda mistook "A" as part of the equation.
A. f(x) = 5.99x - 5
B. f(y) = 5y - 5.99
C. f(y) = 5.99y - 5
D. f(x) = 5x - 5.99
It must have really beer soaked, otherwise you would have seen that A. & C. are exactly the same function notation.
That is, both produce exactly the same set of ordered pairs. Functions are sets of ordered pairs.
Can't argue with that.
If I must argue at all then I guess "It must have really beer soaked" should have been "It must have really been beer soaked" and the fact while both function notation do produce the same set of ordered pairs "A" is still the corresponding function notation to "y - 5.99x = -5"

jonah2.0 said:
Ishuda said:
So write your equation y - 5.99x = -5 A as
y = 5.99x - 5 A

Me beer soaked brain was under the impression that Sir Ishuda mistook "A" as part of the equation.

I would say your beer soaked brain was working pretty good then.