Please help me write out this word problem.

close, no reason for 5 to be negative

[MATH]3(5-x) = 27[/MATH]

Thank you so much! Guess I did that because it said the difference of 5. Thought that meant negative. Thanks again.

If 3(5-x)=27 then what value or values can 5-x equal? Hint: the answer to my question has nothing to do with 5's, x's or even subtraction.

Three times the difference of 5 minus a number is 27.

My work....3(-5-x)=27

The problem statement is wrong. It does not make sense as is with both "difference" and "minus" in there.
Stating "difference" means there is a subtraction, or a "minus" in there.

Here are a couple of choices of the problem statement that are doable:

"Three times the difference of 5 and a number is 27." \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \) I would use this one.

"Three times the quantity of 5 minus a number is 27." \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \) I would not likely use this one.

Last edited:
The problem statement is wrong. It does not make sense as is with both "difference" and "minus" in there.
Stating "difference" means there is a subtraction, or a "minus" in there.

Here are a couple of choices of the problem statement that are doable:

"Three times the difference of 5 and a number is 27." \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \) I would use this one.

"Three times the quantity of 5 minus a number is 27." \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \) I would not likely use this one.
You have an excellent point. Thanks for the post.

It makes more sense for the problem to be something like Three times the difference of 5 minus a number and ??? is 27.

That would translate to 3( (5-x) - ???) = 27