Please help to solve this problem: u=f(x,y) satisfies d^2u/dx^2 + d^u/dy^2 = 0 in 0<x<1, 0<y<1, with...

After 19 posts you should know by now that no helper here will solve your problem for you. Please read the posting guidelines for this forum so that you can create a post that will get you the help you need.

Please help to solve this problem

View attachment 35796Pleaee
First, express δ2u/δx2 as an approximation using central-difference numerical approximation with a finite step length of 'h'

Next, express δ2u/δy2 as an approximation using central-difference numerical approximation with a finite step length of 'h'

Use the above into your original PDE. Continue.....

Dear khansaheb
Grate thanks for the reply
First, express δ2u/δx2 as an approximation using central-difference numerical approximation with a finite step length of 'h'
I still thinking how it do , Can you please give any clue

express δ2u/δx2 as an approximation using central-difference numerical approximation with a finite step length of 'h'
Then start with

express δu/δx as an approximation using central-difference numerical approximation with a finite step length of 'h'

Look up in your textbook/class-notes.

Please advise to find x value and h value to substitute for below central difference method equation

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-15 at 20.00.13 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-15 at 20.00.13 (1).jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4
express δu/δx as an approximation using central-difference numerical approximation with a finite step length of 'h'
1684166376311.png
What is x1'? How/why is it different from x1?

Where is 'h' in the equation that you have presented?

Wow grate thanks I got the point
Thank you so much
H is 1/3 Now I know it
But Can you please advise to find the x value to substitute

Can I use boundary values
0 < x < 1
Which value I must use

1684249544139.png

I think now it is correct but my original problem is remaining same . Is there any one who have enough knowledge to answer my original question
View attachment 35810
You are correct about there being an approximate sign in the middle, but still you have a mistake. In fact, it is a very big mistake.

What is the value substitute for x
This NOT an ONE step problem. You got:

f'(xi) = [f(xi+h) - f(xi-h)]/(2*h)

Now you have to write similar expression for f"(xi), which is of course [f'(xi)]'

Watch those ' and " - please consult your textbook/class-notes.

I think this equation is not suitable to solve my question as my problem has two variable isn't it ?

I think this equation is not suitable to solve my question as my problem has two variable isn't it ?
That really does not matter!

Are you enrolled in a class now where the topic of discussion is (or has been) - Numerical Analysis (numerical approximations of differential equations)?