Please help with Inverse Variation problem

richard1

The problem is "x people are equally splitting the cost of a $C gift. If p people will no longer contribute to the gift, by how much will each person's contribution increase?"

All I know so far is that inverse variation is y=k times 1/x, in which yx=k.
I have tried to make y the cost that each x person must chip in equally to satisfy the cost of C. (first scenario)
--> xy=C

But I'm stuck as to how to find the increase each person must chip in when p people will no longer contribute.

The problem is "x people are equally splitting the cost of a $C gift. If p people will no longer contribute to the gift, by how much will each person's contribution increase?"

All I know so far is that inverse variation is y=k times 1/x, in which yx=k.
I have tried to make y the cost that each x person must chip in equally to satisfy the cost of C. (first scenario)
--> xy=C

But I'm stuck as to how to find the increase each person must chip in when p people will no longer contribute.

To do that, you need to first calculate how much was each person paying before (p persons decided not to chip in). Let us call that y1.

y1= C/x

Then p persons decided not to chip in. Thus now each person [from the total (x-p) left] will pay:

y2= C/(x-p)

so the increase in each person's contribution is y1 - y2

Calculate it.....

@pamkit: Please don't hijack an existing thread to ask a generic question. Submit your own question, showing us what particular difficulty you are having. That might mean showing your attempt at a specific problem, and asking specific questions about it. Otherwise, we don't have any idea what sort of help you need.

When having difficulty doing such a problem it is best to put in numbers and then possibly you would see how to do the work.

Suppose 9 people are equally splitting the cost of a $36 gift. If 3 people will no longer contribute to the gift, by how much will each person's contribution increase?

How would you compute how much the 9 people would contribute?
How would you compute how much 6 people would contribute?
How much more does each of the 6 people have to pay after the three decided not to contribute?

Once you see how to do this problem just change 9 to x, 6 to x-3, 36 to C and do the exact same work. However, in my problem do not do any calculations. For example, IF you thought that you had to multiply 9 and 36, just write 9*36. This way you can replace 9*36 with x*C. If you computed 9*36=324, you would not know that 324 = x*C