please help with: solve 3x + 14 = 2 - x for n

mathisnotfun

i know how to solve for the variable when there is two of the same ones but in this one there are two different ones. Do i do the same thing as i would when it would be to x's or n's or is different? Thanks for the help.

here is the problem.

3x+14=2-n

i'm supposed to solve for n

Re: please help i'm kind of confused

mathisnotfun said:
i know how to solve for the variable when there is two of the same ones but in this one there are two different ones. Do i do the same thing as i would when it would be to x's or n's or is different? Thanks for the help.

here is the problem.

3x+14=2-n

I'll do a similar but different problem

solve for B

6A - 22 = 2 - 3B

-3B = 6A - 22 - 2 ...................Isolate 'B' -- add (-2) to both sides

-3B = - 24 + 6A ...................Isolate 'B' -- divide by (-3)

B = 8 - 2A

Re: please help i'm kind of confused

mathisnotfun said:

here is the problem.

3x+14=2-n

I'm very unhappy with your description. Solving is solving. It makes NO difference if there are other variables. It makes NO difference if it takes 1, 2, 3, or 15 steps. It makes NO difference if there are multiple appearances. The process is the same - ALWAYS! I blame your teacher or the author of your textbook, not you.

3x + 14 = 2 - n

Solve for x -- Keep asking yourself, "How is stuff attached to what I want?" and "How do I move it?"

14 is attached by addition
Subtract 14

3x = 2 - n - 14

3 is attached by multiplication
Divide by 3

x = (2 - n - 14)/3

How about 'n'?

3x + 14 = 2 - n

Solve for n -- Keep asking yourself, "How is stuff attached to what I want?" and "How do I move it?"

2 is attached by addition
Subtract 2

3x + 14 - 2 = - n

-1 is attached by multiplication
Divide by -1

(3x + 14 - 2)/(-1) = n

It's not EVER any trickier. Just be consistent and calm. Of course, I left any simplifying to you.

Note: Change your screen name. You obviously are not aware of how much difference a decent attitude will make. Fix the attitude and you'll do MUCH better.
Note: Your previous response, very brief and unhelpful, also indicates to me one who simply has given up. We can't stuff things in your brain. You must learn to think and to try. Get a better attitude, show some effort, and let us see it.